The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Turque

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2001 Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Turque

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:54 pm

2001 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Turque - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (9/16/2022)
Pulled the cork and got an immediate hit of bacon. Ah Côte Rôtie! Once in the glass it wasn’t so much bacon, but plenty of roasted meat, smoke, deep cherry & plum fruit. The palate was even more impressive, as it carried the flavors along a layer of bright acidity that made the wine fresh and amazingly food friendly. Tannins kicked in on the finish, but we’re not at all obtrusive. Finishing the wine about four hours after it was opened it remained rock steady. Fabulous showing, and tons of time to go. No regrets opening this bottle. None at all.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: WTN: 2001 Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Turque

by Paul Winalski » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:35 am

Sounds fantastic. I got a few of the Guigal La-Las ca. 1990 vintage and while I enjoyed them a lot at the time they struck me as somewhat international in style rather than tasting like Cote-Rotie. Looks like should take that comment back.

The wine merchant I bought them from nicknamed La Turque the "Wonder Bread Wine" because of the balloons on the label. My though was, "buying a case depletes strong bank accounts 12 ways". The La-Las were the first eye-wateringly expensive Cote-Rotie bottlings.

-Paul W.
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2001 Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Turque

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:07 pm

Oddly enough, while they are still crazy expensive, they have not moved much the last 10 years. Other stuff has gotten more expensive around them.
Decisions are made by those who show up