The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

White from Spain

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

White from Spain

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:23 pm

I'm trying to help my boss pick out the wine for a dinner he's hosting at Taberna del Alabarder in DC, and I'm wondering what would be a good white selection. Sauvignon blanc or verdejo? The Gessami 2005 Muscat, Sauvignon Blanc sounds like it might be good, but I've never had an SB from Spain.

I'm also going to recommend a tempranillo for the red; here is the link to their wine menu...if anyone has anything that they've tried on here and liked, please let me know!

http://www.alabardero.com/menus/vinos/WineList.htm

Thanks!
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: White from Spain

by Ian Sutton » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:50 pm

I've had a cheap Telmo Rogriguez Sauvignon Blanc before that was excellent and a huge bargain. If that was anything to go by then I'd be confident in the one you mention.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:57 pm

Judging by your choice of SB, you would be inclined for an unoaked, acidic wine? My choices would be the Txomin Etxaniz Getariako Txakolina or an Albariño. I understand (but don't remember ever tasting) that Lagar de Cervera is very good.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:12 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:My choices would be the Txomin Etxaniz Getariako Txakolina or an Albariño.

To that I would add Martinsancho, Rueda; but I certainly applaud Otto's choices.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:44 pm

Choosing only from the Taberna's wine list (and not going for absurdly expensive wines):

If you want a truly unique, terroir-infused, non-New World, Mediterranean white, try Joseph Puig's Odysseus 2005 Pedro Ximénez from Priorat.

If you want an excellent, appley-grassy verdejo (not expensive, to boot), try the 2005 Naia from Rueda.

If you want a straight-as-an-arrow, apricot-and-lemon albariño, try the 2005 Lusco do Miño from Rías Baixas.

On the red front:

Mencía: Descendientes de J. Palacios Corullón 2001, Bierzo

Tempranillo (Ribera del Duero): Alonso del Yerro 2003

Tempranillo (Rioja): Artadi Viñas de Gain 2004

Tempranillo (Toro): Viña San Román 2001 or 2002 (2001 is better and more expensive, but 2002 is truly remarkable for the vintage)
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:58 pm

K Story wrote: The Gessami 2005 Muscat, Sauvignon Blanc sounds like it might be good, but I've never had an SB from Spain.

The Gessami is far more Muscat than Sauvignon. It's very good, but you have to be in a very aromatic mood.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:17 am

Thanks for helping me narrow down some of those choices Victor! That's exactly what I was hoping for. Too bad I'm not invited to the dinner, I would have liked to have tried whichever we end up having :cry:
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:25 pm

K Story wrote:Thanks for helping me narrow down some of those choices Victor! That's exactly what I was hoping for. Too bad I'm not invited to the dinner, I would have liked to have tried whichever we end up having :cry:

I'd be crying too.
As you're not invited I say choose something simple, likeTorres Vina Esmeralda or Cava. If you were were invited I would have said Albarino - what could be more exciting than a good Spanish Albarino. I've only had a couple but very impressed with both - there's a kind of exciting mysteriousness to this varietal. Latest was Valminor Albarino 2004 from Rias Baixas. Recommended.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:51 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
K Story wrote:Thanks for helping me narrow down some of those choices Victor! That's exactly what I was hoping for. Too bad I'm not invited to the dinner, I would have liked to have tried whichever we end up having :cry:

I'd be crying too.
As you're not invited I say choose something simple, likeTorres Vina Esmeralda or Cava. If you were were invited I would have said Albarino - what could be more exciting than a good Spanish Albarino. I've only had a couple but very impressed with both - there's a kind of exciting mysteriousness to this varietal. Latest was Valminor Albarino 2004 from Rias Baixas. Recommended.

Thanks, Sue. I haven't yet tried an Albarino, so it's definitely on my list for sometime soon. I'm going to MacArthur tomorrow night to stock up on some other varietals; hopefully they'll have something similar to what you have recommended, as well as a Chilean Reisling (Jenise's thread piqued my curiousity there) to cover my whites for this trip.