The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Pinot Noir 2007 Tasting in NZ - link

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Pinot Noir 2007 Tasting in NZ - link

by Ian Sutton » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:39 pm

I've recently discovered the Geoff Kelly site in NZ (it was Sue C or Craig from the Auswine forum that put me onto it IIRC).

http://www.geoffkellywinereviews.co.nz/

He's just posted some extensive notes on the Pinot Noir 2007 conference in New Zealand, and IMO it makes for typically interesting reading. For me, the re-appearance of Martinborough Vineyard Reserve (last seen in 1998 I believe - and I have a solitary bottle remaining) in 2003 vintage. He's quite scathing about the price and the reserve bottlings impact on the standard wine. I must admit I did very much enjoy the standard label in 2000, so maybe he has a case?

Anyway, I hope this is of interest and I particularly like his belief in the joys of aged (some would say over the hill) wines. I find it refreshing in comparison to recent trends towards instant gratification in wine drinking.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: Pinot Noir 2007 Tasting in NZ - link

by Sue Courtney » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:25 pm

Geoff Kelly is very meticulous and totally honest in his reports. There's a lot of reading in there. I'm currently wading through it too.

Just to vent my spleen a bit, because despite writing a four page article for a magazine after the last event in 2004, and Internet articles on both 2004 and 2001 event, I didn't get an 'invite' to the 'conference' this year until two weeks before the event and then only because I approached the organisers. Then it was for conference sessions only and not for tastings!!!! The emphasis was on 'international' media most of whose reports we will never see. So as I would have also had to arrange my own travel and accom and would not be able to taste the wines, I didn't go.
So kudos for Geoff for getting his extensive reports on to his website. I know what a lot of painstaking hard work it was. And what could be more 'international'' than the Internet. This is what people who are really interested in the nitty gritty, rather than reports that say, "what a great conference it was," want to read.

There are also audios from the conference sessions on the daily program pages on http://www.pinotnoir2007.co.nz - so you can listen to Geoff too on the panel he was involved in on Tues 30th January. Plus other luminaries, like Burghound.