The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

acidity

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

cris n.

Rank

Just got here

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:44 pm

acidity

by cris n. » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:13 pm

I am attempting to distinquish the acids in wine tastings. Could someone help with the description/tastes of malic, citric, tartaric and succinic acids in wine? Thanks.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: acidity

by Howie Hart » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:31 pm

While I can't give you a lot of info, grapes are perhaps the only fruit that produces tartaric. If you would like to taste tartaric, go to your spice rack, grab that little jar of cream of tartar, mix a little bit up in some water. The dominant acid in most other fruits, apples for instance, is malic. Think sour apple, think malic. Another acid present in many wines is lactic. This is produced by a bacterial fermentation which converts malic acid into lactic acid, which is a weaker acid than malic. When this takes place, the wines have less acidity and a resulting smoother finish. Think lactic, think milk or butter or dairy products. There is very little citric acid in wines, but here, think citrus - limes, lemons - the sourness in the mouth, not the aroma.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:48 pm

Malic acid is what gives the aroma and tartness to green apples. It is perceived on the palate as several times more sour than lactic acid. Red wines tasted from barrel before going through malolactic fermentation are very tart and taste somewhat of apples.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:20 pm

What is the effect on pH after malolactic fermentation?

Malic may be sharper than Lactic but is it any less acidic?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:27 pm

Warren Edwardes wrote:What is the effect on pH after malolactic fermentation?

Malic may be sharper than Lactic but is it any less acidic?

ML raises the pH, and softens the mouthfeel...gives it that butter quality.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:08 am

As far as I understand it if the pH prior to MLF is greater than 3.6 the pH will increase during ML. If the pH is less than 3.6 prior to MLF than the pH will decrease during ML. I believe this has something to do with the pKa of the acid and isoelectric point of the acid. (Where's Alan? He could explain this much better than I can).

Salute
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:35 pm

I have tasted malic and tartaric acids made up at the same (wine-ish) pH, and they do not have the flavors often attributed to them. In particular, malic acid does not taste like apples. They just taste acidic.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:02 pm

Victorwine wrote:As far as I understand it if the pH prior to MLF is greater than 3.6 the pH will increase during ML. If the pH is less than 3.6 prior to MLF than the pH will decrease during ML. I believe this has something to do with the pKa of the acid and isoelectric point of the acid. (Where's Alan? He could explain this much better than I can).

Salute

Victor,

It isn't safe to do ML above 3.6 pH. I believe the optimum is between 3.2 and 3.5. As for the pH decreasing during ML--I believe that is a rare occurrence.

Try these sites:
http://www.winemakermag.com/departments/112.html
http://www.brsquared.org/wine/Articles/MLF/MLF.htm
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

by Ben Rotter » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:05 pm

The best way to understand the different taste of these acids is to make up some solutions and taste them yourself. Barring that, focusing on the acid profile of apples, lemons, milk etc as people have alluded to here is probably the next best thing. (Of course malic acid doesn't taste of apples, but the predominant acid in apples is malic acid, so focusing on the acid profile of an apple will give you *some* idea.)

BTW, whilst lactic acid is the predominant acid in dairy product, the "buttery" quality in wines is associated with the compound diacetyl. Diacetyl (think artificial butter flavour - like on popcorn) is a metabolic by-product of citric acid metabolisation by ML bacteria. The significant (sensory) presence of diacetyl is not a given with MLF, since its production is dependent on a number of factors.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:35 pm

Sorry Thomas I believe I’m confusing ML for cold stabilization. You’re absolutely correct one should see an increase in pH after MLF.

Salute