The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Do you return empty wine bottles for deposit?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Do you return empty wine bottles for deposit?

by Bruce Hayes » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:02 am

On Feb. 5 the province of Ontario introduced a bottle deposit program. If we return regular sized wine bottles we get our 20 cent deposit returned.

I know this program exists in other areas of North America and around the world, but am just wondering how many people out there actually go to the bother of schlepping their cases of empty wine bottles back to the store or some other location just for the sake of a few bucks.

As you may have guessed, I haven't bothered (yet) to return them. As they have done for many years, my empty wine bottles go into the recycling bin. Can't really see the bother is worth $2.40 to me.

How about you?
Last edited by Bruce Hayes on Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Do you return empty wine bottles for deposit?

by Carl Eppig » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:19 am

In Maine, where we lived until '05 everything is returnable except milk and cider. Wine and spirits are $.15 U.S. per bottle, and all else is $.05 including beer, juice, et al. If you buy and four pack of 187 ml bottles of wine that is $.60 and these are added to the cost of your purchase. So it is worthwile to save and return them or donate them to the scouts or others. Several bags of bottles and cans can amount to up to $20.

In New Hampshire we return nothing. In some communities recycling is required.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:22 am

Bruce Hayes wrote:How about you?

There's no bottle deposit law in Kentucky, although it's been an issue at the legislature off and on for many years. The soft drink and beer companies "lobby" against it.

So returning bottles is not an option, but we recycle ours - our city has curbside recycling, optional but everybody does it. I sometimes wonder what our recycling guy must think about all the wine bottles we put out. :)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:25 am

Recycle consistently here, Bruce; our town picks up every other Wednesday. No deposit law here.

I used to take bottles to a recycling place in Glen Rock -- no money involved, just recycling.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:38 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Bruce Hayes wrote:How about you?

I sometimes wonder what our recycling guy must think about all the wine bottles we put out. :)

I wonder about us as well, especially since my wife is a Sunday School teacher and superintendent at her church. :shock:
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:49 am

Unfortunately we do not have a deposit law here in Indiana. I recycle and pay $40 annually for that.
When I lived in deposit states, I would just donate the empties to charity/local volunteer Fire Dept rather than lugging them back to the store(s).
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:58 am

No deposit here, but eventually recycling seems to have taken hold and we wait till we have around 20 empties and take them either to a supermarket, or the car park of the local YMCA sports centre, to drop the bottles into the bottle banks.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:14 am

Bruce, one suggestion. I put ours in a wine boxes rather than in the recycling bin. Easier for the recycle guys to handle, and Janet thinks it looks "better". :)

A local fellow makes his own wine and he sometimes picks up a box or two for his own bottling.
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:27 am

Alberta has had recycling deposits for as long as I can remember. Even when I was a kid, I recall my parents taking their cans and bottles to a depot. It's simply part of our lifestyle here, Bruce.

Back in my scouting days, we did bottle drives as fund-raisers.

I believe the deposits are 5 cents for containers under 1 L, 10 cents for 1L and up. Beer bottles and cans are 10 cents. At $1.20 per case, it's worth it for beer.

When I was a college student who drank a lot of beer, recycling helped me through some tight spots. A few bucks could mean gas in the car.

Nowdays my wife and I leave our bottles next to the dumpster outside our building. There are a number of bottlepickers who come through our neighbourhood. These guys get up quite early and arguably work harder than most people. I look at them as providing a public service and on a good day they can make out very well. At least they're not panhandling on the streets.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:40 am

No bottle deposit law here in New Mexico, and I live in a county where there is not even optional recycling available. So I take all my recycling to my workplace in the next, more enlightened, county.

When I moved here from upstate NY this was one of the worst culture shocks.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:48 am

We don't have deposits on wine bottles in UK so I use the kerbside recycling collection. But when I was living in Stockholm the state monopoly bottled many of the wines locally using standard bottles which could be returned for a small cash refund. I was always intrigued by the automatic machine that you put the bottle in and which checked it was an appropriate bottle for use before coughing up a few kroner.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:00 am

I am the recycle - all my friends save their empties for me to re-fill. :D
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:06 am

I am like Mike B, leave the bottles outside for the guys to pick up in their early am rounds for empties.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:04 pm

Haven't taken any back yet, Bruce, but that's because I need as many empties as I can get right now. My 2006 Dry Cayuga is in the garage waiting to be bottled! :D
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:29 pm

Howie Hart wrote:I am the recycle - all my friends save their empties for me to re-fill. :D

LOL Howie! I like that recycle plan! Wished I lived closer so I could use the "Howie Hart Recycling System"...LOL!

I also recycle. Not sure if there is even a bottle deposit here in NJ or not.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:56 pm

No bottle deposit on wine in NY, so I just put on curb.

I do take back seltzer and sparkling water bottles back for the $.05 deposit. While there are "canners" that go by my office, none pass through our neighborhood- density isn't enough. So I either take in for deposit or take to office to leave for canners. Recycling through machines is more efficient than putting into the co-mingled recyling bins. If bottle law was extended to wine in NY, I'd be sure to take them in.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:08 pm

No deposit on wine bottles here, so they go in the recycle bin that gets picked up every other week.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:33 pm

No deposit on bottles here in Ohio. We put them in the recycle bin along with the cans, jars, and newspapers every week.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:19 am

We have mandatory recycling here in Jersey, they come once every two weeks for the paper, metal, plastic and glass.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.