The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus July 2023 - Benchmarks of Nebbiolo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Wine Focus July 2023 - Benchmarks of Nebbiolo

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:42 am

:D This month we head for Northern Italy, and the grape that calls the area home – Nebbiolo. Defining benchmarks for Nebbiolo is easy, as Barolo is the unquestioned champion and has been for as long as anyone can care to remember or research. Barbaresco, with many similar characteristics in terms of climate and soil, plays second-fiddle to Barolo, but it’s a strong second chair, with the occasional switching of places when vintage quirks favor Barbaresco.

As with all gapes and wine regions, climate change is altering the benchmarks. Where fully ripe vintages were once a prized rarity, now too ripe vintages creep in, altering the classic, age-worthy balance of Piemonte Nebbiolo wines. Historically less well-regarded areas, such as Carema, north of Torino (where Barolo is south of the city), and Valtellina in Lombardy have seen their stock rise as the climate becomes more favorable (for now).

Nebbiolo is still a niche grape outside of Italy. Adventurous producers in California are experimenting, and even establishing a local style for the grape. But Nebbiolo is fickle, and land is expensive in California, so the value proposition is more difficult than in Piemonte, where a classically true Nebbiolo bottling, such as the Produttori del Barbaresco’s Langhe bottling (100% Nebbiolo that in some years such as 2016 could all be sold as very fine Barbaresco) can be had for $30 or less.

Thankfully the Barolo style wars are less of a distraction these days. The new oak barriques of the early 1990s has been eliminated or reduced by many of its proponents in favor of traditional large botti, though some still make wines in a fully modern style.

Explore Nebbiolo this July. Open a Barolo that has been sleeping in the cellar for years or go out and find something new. It’s all welcome as we explore Piemonte’s signature grape.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Wine Focus July 2023 - Benchmarks of Nebbiolo

by Rahsaan » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:54 am

Lovely grape. I've had a few recently.

2020 Giulia Negri Langhe Nebbiolo Pian delle Mole is my kind of wine. Gentle, fragrant, floral, fine-grained., silky and very elegant. I guess the quick pr spiel is that she was influenced by Burgundy and her wines evoke that spirit. But it certainly makes sense and I don't mind the interpretation. Because it's definitely Piedmont nebbiolo, but in a style I find very enjoyable. Have been going through bottles of this and enjoying them all the way through.

2021 Barale Langhe Nebbiolo is another favorite producer, but with such bigger broader shoulders than the Negri. Still a delicate wine as these things go, but a firmer and broader version. If you know Barale, this is textbook and a welcome reprieve from the hotter recent vintages.

2019 Giulia Negri Barolo La Tartufaia
This was tasty and fun and a good match with roasted mushroom and roasted broccolini pizza. But obviously its best days are ahead. You see the layers of elegance and its clearly 'more' than a Langhe Nebbiolo. But, I'll go back to the 2020 Pian delle Mole again, for the time being.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:22 am

Should be an interesting month eh. I will be in BC so will try to keep in touch.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:39 pm

While acknowledging that most well-aged nebbiolos I've had were Barolo, not Barbaresco, I have always thought of Barbaresco as the feminine and Barolo the masculine expressions of nebbiolo. Not lesser, just different. Naive?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:49 pm

Jenise wrote:While acknowledging that most well-aged nebbiolos I've had were Barolo, not Barbaresco, I have always thought of Barbaresco as the feminine and Barolo the masculine expressions of nebbiolo. Not lesser, just different. Naive?

Yes, I've had that shortcut as well. And there seems to be some general truth to it, in my experience. But, Barolo is larger than Barbaresco, so there is more terroir variation within Barolo (including along this dimension of big/sturdy/masculine vs. elegant/feminine). Not to mention the producer variation.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:33 pm

With climate change impacts, some of those "feminine" Barbarescos are adding a lot of weight. They are still classically Nebbiolo, but brawnier than they used to be.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:48 pm

Checking my inventory in CT, I note that some of my remaining large handful of mature Barolo and Barbaresco are shown as having auction values of between €400 and 2000 per bottle. It looks as if some estates in these appellations are acquiring a monetary cult status creeping up towards that of top Burgundy. N.Rhône seems to be headed in the same direction. Am I alone in finding that knowledge of these values usually engenders disappointment when drinking the bottle? What a shame!
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:54 pm

Tim York wrote:Checking my inventory in CT, I note that some of my remaining large handful of mature Barolo and Barbaresco are shown as having auction values of between €400 and 2000 per bottle. It looks as if some estates in these appellations are acquiring a monetary cult status creeping up towards that of top Burgundy. N.Rhône seems to be headed in the same direction. Am I alone in finding that knowledge of these values usually engenders disappointment when drinking the bottle? What a shame!

You are not alone. As far as Burgundy is concerned I am finally resigned to selling more of my "trophies" to instead purchase a high end mirrorless camera and crazy good lens. At least I can use that more than once!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:11 pm

Did a Produttori del Barbaresco review today. Sadly a 2013 single vineyard wine was totally cooked. The 2019 Langhe Nebbiolo and 2018 Barbaresco were both excellent.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:38 am

2007 Barolo Castagni, Reverdito

Classic nebbiolo aromas and flavors not obscured or overwhelmed by oak. The wine looks younger than its 16 years and is a bit closed in and grumpy. I think it needs more time to learn some manners. Double Larry Moe.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:42 pm

Paired last night with a grilled veal chop and parmesan-buttered angel hair pasta:

2017 Idlewild Nebbiolo Fox Hill Vineyard Mendocino County
Much better than the awkward bottle we had a four months ago. Light red-gold, great nose, delicate palate presence that was perfect with our food. Good but I doubt it has a future beyond 2025 and, blind, if asked to name a price I'd have started around the $25 mark. Basically, it falls short of my expectations for nebbiolo and $50.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:35 pm

Do you drink much Nebbiolo from the Alto Piemonte?

The Idelwild reminds me of those wines much more than say Barbaresco or Barolo.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:22 am

No I don't. I don't live in a place with much selection of Italian wines, so I don't enjoy the variety I'd like to as often as I'd like to.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:49 pm

2011 Cappellano Barolo Pie Rupestris is in my glass. Oh my!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:48 pm

• 2011 Cappellano Barolo Piè Rupestris Otin Fiorin (Gabutti) - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (7/19/2023)
    The eternal dilemma as to whether drinking now is better than waiting for some mythical, future pinnacle is embodied in this wine. The rim actually has some orange, and the aromas are notably complex. Yet the palate is still a bit tight, and the tannin has a “no, not yet” astringency. Overall though I found the wine immensely pleasurable, largely because of the citrus, red fruit, rose and cinnamon aromas that were completely captivating. I only ended up drinking 50% of the bottle because zi was so enthralled with smelling it that I only took a sip about every three times I smelled it! I would come down on the side of drinking sooner rather than later, as I have for almost all 2011 Piemonte Nebbiolo wines. The tannins are winning the battle against the palate depth, so enjoy the aromatic beauty while it’s the central feature.
no avatar
User

win_fried

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:13 am

Cologne, Germany

2009 Antonio Vallana e Figlio Gattinara

by win_fried » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:08 am

2009 Antonio Vallana e Figlio Gattinara - Italy, Piedmont, Northern Piedmont, Gattinara (7/27/2023)
Color: Brick red with some red reflexes.
Nose: Forest floor, black cherry, marzipan, tobacco box, violet and a hint of glue.
Palate: nicely balanced, maraschino cherry, forest floor, dark forest berries.
Very nice. Gattinara is our favorite pairing for Pasta e Fagioli. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:33 am

Very nice!

I used to see Gattinara readily available at inexpensive prices. Now it's hard to find and getting to be actually expensive.
no avatar
User

win_fried

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:13 am

Cologne, Germany

by win_fried » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:31 am

Well, last night I decided to stock up upon the 2010 Vallana Gattinarra which is still available in my town at 38€. Concerning the quality I think that is fair.

Winfried
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:22 pm

The New Hampshire State Liquor Store sells a Gattinara. I forget the producer's name. It comes in a funny-shaped bottle. It's a good wine but not a particularly good value for the money.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:43 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:The New Hampshire State Liquor Store sells a Gattinara. I forget the producer's name. It comes in a funny-shaped bottle. It's a good wine but not a particularly good value for the money.

-Paul W.

Travaglini
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:13 am

I haven't opened any Barolo or Barbaresco this month since I discovered on CT that most of my remaining handful of bottles are reaching stratospheric auction values. I love these wines when mature, just as I do red Burgundy, but these are now values for extra special occasions or even resale. I need to experiment with more affordable younger vintages, Langhe Nebbiolo, or outliers like Gattinara, Valtellina or Ghemme, if I can find them. This one which I opened last month has a CT quoted auction value at the relatively reasonable level of c.€220!

1996 Luciano Sandrone Barolo Cannubi Boschis - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (04/06/2023)
This is very nice mature Barolo showing medium- body, discreetly fine aromas of red berry fruit, rose petals following onto palate which added delicious minerals, silky texture and tar towards the decently long finish. The overall impression was of restrained elegance. Perhaps decanting would have revealed more but, in early summer ambient temperatures, I was concerned that the wine might become too warm. In the next few weeks, this problem may become more severe. So very good, even though I was hoping for more given the producer and vintage reputations.

Posted from CellarTracker

PS: my concern about the arrival of torrid summer temperatures has not yet been realized here in Normandy with July temperatures in the lower 20sC at best. This is by far preferable, however, to the unprecedented heat and storms in the Mediterranean basin!
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:23 am

That sounds like very pleasant weather. Two dear friends of ours are currently on a tour in the south of France and being slowly boiled alive.

And I am with you on the auction values. I struggle with the proposition of drinking my Burgundy, Barolo, and also some Champagnes. I try to remind myself what the wines cost when I bought them, but…