The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Brut-al Grand Rose

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Brut-al Grand Rose

by Jenise » Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:52 am

NV Gosset Champagne Grand Rosé Brut Champagne Blend
Similar to other recent notes on CT. Copper colored vs. the pristeen pink of just a year ago on purchase and lacking the energy of that earlier bottle as well. Might need to speed-dial remaining bottles through the drinking queue.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Brut-al Grand Rose

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:23 pm

That's too bad, I have been drinking some of these and haven't had these issues, consistently good. I don't think Gosset puts on lot #s /disgorgement so hard to know if a batch issue.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:36 am

Dale, I have five more. I'll be pretty unhappy if all of these turn out like this one, which they might. As I said, recent notes on CT are dismaying.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:31 pm

But are the recent notes on CT all the same disgorgement?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:06 pm

yes, no way to tell lot or storage. But I just looked and didn't really see any dismaying trend. I see about 20 notes from this year. Almost all positive or 90+ points. Except
Jenise's note (after a positive one in Jan)
a flawed bottle in Jan, another Jan where note is "no flavor"
A recent 88 with no TN
A negative note from DinoCollapso last month , a quick look at his notes makes him not a good guide for me.

I'll try a bottle soon, but not super worried about my bottles. I hope Jenise's is a one off and she didn't get bottles that suffered damage.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:50 am

In a private message Dino (what a name!) said he was aware of many other poor reviews, plus I heard from another, a reliable person I've come to know on CT while discussing many wines, who'd encountered a similar result. I admit I didn't page back through the notes myself; obviously I should have.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:35 am

Out of curiosity I took a bottle to the river last night, showed well and similar to previous.
To me such an abrupt change in a few months sounds like something damaged in transit. I don't think I've ever really seen a Champagne change that drastically in 6 months. My bottles are Wilson Daniels- are yours?
My take on Dino's comments was more it wasn't his style : Avoid if you're looking for the hedonistic, strawberries and cream, sherbet type of pink fizz (as me and the missus were).. Not sure he would have liked the bottle you described in Jan either (unsweetened baked apple with pie crust).
Still hoping your other bottles are ok
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:29 pm

Dino said his was: "Not our style. Orange-copper in colour and tasted like a basic NV non-rose champagne. Nose and palate gave yeast and a little brioche, no fruit to speak of. Avoid if you're looking for the hedonistic, strawberries and cream, sherbet type of pink fizz (as me and the missus were)."

I kind of ignored the 'hedonistic' comment because Gosset in my book is never hedonistic--he just didn't know that. But what he found in his wine if you just concentrate on that part is pretty identical to what my bottle was like. And I agree, heat damage could be involved.

Glad yours was better; I'll open another one soon.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:13 pm

One thing that I did notice is that I wouldn't call color on my bottle copper, it was a pretty pale pink (as you said was your previous).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:42 pm

Big difference. I'll open another soon and post back.
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

by Patrick Martin » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:53 pm

Finally got my Gosset Grand Rose NV from the Zachy’s $40/per sale, delivered only today. As I got 6, I opened one straight away for dinner tonight and read this thread with some interest.

So, first impressions of my bottle, this is really delicious. Light copper color which highlights of pink salmon. Fresh, airy nose. The action is in the palate, which is on the bright, citric end of things, all blood orange and pink grapefruit, but plenty of body and richness to avoid being tart or shrill. Ginger and lemon zest on the finish, with an ever so slight hint of sourness. I’m a big fan.

I tried to upload a picture of the color, which seems like Jenise’s advanced bottle, but apparently files have to be quite tiny to be posted here.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:58 am

Patrick, I've opened two bottles since I posted this. Both were more coral than pink in color but not full-on copper, but they had the energy that other bottle lacked. So further along but not at all dead--pretty much just what you describe.