The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Anyone had Double Zero chardonnay from Oregon?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Anyone had Double Zero chardonnay from Oregon?

by Jenise » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:36 pm

This pitch from The Rare Wine Company is pretty intriguing:

Chris and Kathryn Hermann’s Double Zero (“00”) Oregon Chardonnays are forcing the world to reconsider the potential of Chardonnay grown in America.
Every month, we hear another story about a serious Burgundy collector or winemaker mistaking a glass of Double Zero Chardonnay served blind for an elite White Burgundy. And often it’s a grand cru as lofty as Chevalier Montrachet.
Such dazzling quality is of course partly due to the extraordinary fruit that comes from some of Oregon’s oldest and most legendary vineyards. Yet, other Oregon producers have access to great vineyards. Why are the Double Zero wines at a completely different level?
There are three answers. The first is the Hermann's obsessive pursuit of greatness. The second is their deep knowledge of Burgundy itself; in addition to their work in Oregon, they also make wines from Chambertin, Corton-Charlemagne and Meursault Charmes.
Finally, there’s how they make their Chardonnay. Unlike anyone else in America, they exclusively use an old technique born in Burgundy and embraced by Coche, Roulot and Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey.
Named “Black Chardonnay,” it results in otherworldly phenolic density and oxidation resistance, which not only makes the wines taste much more like great white Burgundy, it ensures long aging.
If the early reviews are any guide, the 2021 vintage is sure to solidify Double Zero’s position as the Great New American Wine Icon. Between just two reviewers—Audrey Frick (jebdunnuck.com) and Jeremy Young (internationalwinereport.com)—Double Zero has already received nine ratings between 98 and 100.
Of course, Double Zero's five iconic single-vineyard Chardonnays, ranging in price up to $250 a bottle, are stunning. But the truest measure of the year’s historic quality is the $75 flagship Chardonnay, VGW, where five great Willamette Valley vineyards are brought together in one spectacular wine.
The names of these sites are a Murderer’s Row of famous Oregon vineyards: Seven Springs (60% of the blend), Chehalem Mountain, Open Claim, Shea and Hyland. Something else these vineyards have in common is that they also appear as more expensive Double Zero single-vineyard bottlings selling for two or three times as much.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Anyone had Double Zero chardonnay from Oregon?

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:37 pm

Lotta hype for a winery I have never even heard of.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:48 pm

I've had a couple of the EGW and VGW, own a couple of single vineyards that I haven't tried, but look forward to. Good acids, sense of power, should age well. About as good a possible ringer for WB that I've run across in US Chardonnay. Not sure I'm a buyer at current retail though.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:38 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Good acids, sense of power, should age well. About as good a possible ringer for WB that I've run across in US Chardonnay. Not sure I'm a buyer at current retail though.

Sounds a lot like the Tan Fruit wines, including the current retail comment.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:42 am

The prices are astonishing. I wasn't aware anyone was asking--or getting--those kinds of prices for OR chardonnay.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:12 am

BTW, I also had their 2018 Corton-Charlemagne a couple years ago. Very good (steely- in 2018!) but in need of time.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:22 pm

In an auction and from a pristeen cellar I am very familiar with, I just acquired a bottle of the '17, a leaner, cooler vintage in Oregon chardonnay that produced exactly my kind of wine. Will try it soon!