The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: New Bucklin Reds.....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: New Bucklin Reds.....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:38 pm

We tried these (mostly) new Bucklin wines at Pig+Fig last night:
1. Bucklin OldHillRanch Bambino FieldBlend (14.2%; Vines plntd in 1998; 78% Zin/14% PetiteSirah/8% AlicanteBouschet) 2021: Very dark color; very strong blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/bright/very spicy some SonomaVlly/peppery light toasty/oak lovely nose; slightly off-dry/rich/lush strong blackberry/Zin/spicy slight SV/peppery light toasty/oak flavor w/ light/ripe/soft tannins; med.long finish that reflects flavor; a rather good Zin for the price; a bit on the ripe side & lacking a bit on structure; doesn't seem up to the level of previous Bambinos. $28.00
2. Bucklin CabSauv BedrockVnyd SonomaVlly/SonomaCnty (14.7%; 100% CS; 27 yr old vines; Clone 337 on 110R rootstock; 18 mo. in Fr.oak; pH: 3.68; TA: 0.59%; 122 cs) Bucklin/Sonoma 2021: Very dark near black color; strong blackcurranty/CS/boysenberry some toasty/Fr.oak slight SV/peppery bit complex rather ripe nose; somewhat soft strong blackcurranty/CS/boysenberry/ripe some toasty/oak rather rich/lush/fleshy flavor w/ modest ripe tannins; very long/lingering ripe/blackcurranty finish w/ modest ripe tannins; a pretty classic SV CS that needs several yrs but not particularly distinctive; rather on the ripe side & a bit lacking in structure & grip; nice Cab for the price but just that. $38.00
3. Bucklin OldHillRanch Ancient Field Blend (14.8%; Plntd in 1885; 278 cs) 2021: Very dark near black color; very strong blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/very spicy some toasty/oak quite SV/peppery some dusty/OV quite ripe/rich/lush nose; bit soft very rich/lush/ripe quite dusty/OV some toasty/oak quite youthful ripe flavor w/ modest soft/ripe tannins; very long/lingering very spicy/dusty/OV finish that reflects flavor; a pretty classic/youthful expression of OH Zin that needs some 2-5 yrs of age. $46.00
4. Bucklin OldHillRanch Ancient Field Blend (15.3%; Plntd in 1885; 592 cs) 2018: Very dark color; fairly complex strong blackberry/Zin/boysenberry some peppery/SV fairly dusty/OV modest toasty/oak nose; fairly complex quite spicy/blackberry/Zin/boysenberry/ripe rather dusty/OV strong SV/peppery modest toasty/oak flavor w/ modest ripe tannins; very similar to the '21 but more complexity & spiciness & showing a bit of evolution; a pretty classic OH Zin. $42.00
1. These are the wines of WillBucklin, owner of the ancient OldHillVnyd, source of some of the greatest Zins in Calif (Ravenswood/Carlisle/Once&Future/Bedrock). I liked all four of these reds quite a lot. They all spoke strongly of SonomaVlly and of OldHill wines. The emphasis was clearly on ripeness. I felt the wines were a bit lacking in structure and are not going to be long-lived reds in the way the old Ravenswoods were. I think Bedrock/O&F/Carlisle make rather more interesting wines from these grapes. But they are all good/solid reds.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: New Bucklin Reds.....(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:47 pm

I don't look to the Bucklin wines for aging. For me it's a great way to get an early look at what's happening in (mostly) Old Hill.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Re: WTN: New Bucklin Reds.....(short/boring)

by wnissen » Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:41 pm

Hi Tom,

Looks like you got many of the same wines I did! I was still a bit worried about heat, it being almost 80 here in parts of the Bay Area, so mine should ship next week. I can see why these wines are so popular with restaurants, they do show well right out of the bottle and are what passes for well priced these days. Looking forward to trying them. I also have a thing for white field blends, so I'll try to remember to report on that.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup..

by TomHill » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:46 pm

wnissen wrote:Hi Tom,

Looks like you got many of the same wines I did! I was still a bit worried about heat, it being almost 80 here in parts of the Bay Area, so mine should ship next week. I can see why these wines are so popular with restaurants, they do show well right out of the bottle and are what passes for well priced these days. Looking forward to trying them. I also have a thing for white field blends, so I'll try to remember to report on that.

Yup.... loved the White Field Blend. A very old-timey White that reminded me of Gus Sebastiani's Green Hungarian. Kind of rustic but a step back in time.