The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN - Various recent bottles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

WTN - Various recent bottles

by John S » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:45 am

Here's a partial list of what I've been drinking from my cellar lately.

• NV Doré Champagne Premier Cru Brut Ludes - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (2023-11-12)
    Had another bottle of this last night, and it showed very differently from the first bottle - not as rich and powerful, more elegant and balanced. Almost a night and day difference: quite the bottle variation! I liked this version better. Good QPR here. (A-)
  • 2009 Georges Descombes Morgon - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (2023-10-31)
    This was fairly light ruby in colour, with a nose of cherry, earthy notes and a bit of tar. It was quite intense on the medium boded palate, with a blast of fruit, herbal notes, more earth and tar. Really drinking well now, and it doesn't seem in any danger of fading anytime soon. On the second day, it showed more elegance and complexity but still nice intensity, with the acid really giving the wine a lift. (A-)
  • 2015 Vignobles Alain Chateau Savennières Château de Varennes - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Savennières (2023-10-28)
    Had a couple of glasses of this last night. Still youthful, but drinking well now, with lots of steely minerality, some yellow fruit notes and nice acidity and length. Nice concentration too. A very nice, modern style Savennieres. (A-)
  • 2016 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (2023-10-07)
    This still tastes quite young, but quite tasty. Lots of stone fruit on the medium bodied, off dry palate, with pears, peaches and nectarines along with slate and a rich, honeyed texture. Fairly rich and sweet, but just enough acidity to keep it from being cloying. Age will help. (A-)
  • 2020 Blue Mountain Chardonnay Blossom Slope - Block 17 - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley (2023-10-03)
    I had this a few days ago. It was a little closed and anonymous. Nothing stood out, which was both good and bad. Nicely balanced with just a little oak, a little fruit, moderate acidity and some minerality: it was more savory than fruity. Elegant. I am hoping this improves over time. Not a bad wine, but it was more understated than I had hoped. (B+)
  • 2018 Synchromesh Riesling Thorny Vines Vineyard - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley (2023-10-02)
    After 5 years, this is still tasting quite young: the screwcap also probably helps. Like almost every Synchromesh riesling, there's a clear sweet/acid dichotomy on the palate. You get a rush of sweetness at the front palate, with stonefruit and honeyed citrus, and then towards the end the high acidity kicks in. It's an invigorating ying/yang experience. Lovely with a vegetable red curry. Drinking well now, but should last quite a while. A 2020 Thorny Vines tasted later was equally tasty. (A-)
  • 2012 Le Cadeau Pinot Noir Merci Reserve - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Chehalem Mountains (2023-09-29)
    Had this a few days ago. I think the warm 2012 vintage really showed in this wine. The 14.4% noted on the label also was a warning sign. No heat or alcohol showing, but it was quite rich, ripe and slightly heavy. There were nice pinot notes in here, and some complexity, but it was just a little too amplified for me. i would drink up. (B+)
  • 2018 Le Clos Jordanne Pinot Noir Le Grand Clos - Canada, Ontario, Niagara Peninsula, Twenty Mile Bench VQA (2023-09-29)
    This has really improved over the last year. Didn't take notes, but this was a nice cool climate pinot, medium bodied, elegant but with some concentration as well. Cherries and other red fruits on show, but lots of savory notes as well. Very nicely done, should improve over the short to medium term. (A-)
  • 2015 J.M. Gobillard et Fils Champagne Cuvée Prestige Millésimé Brut - France, Champagne (2023-09-24)
    Hazy notes from a few days ago. This was a very nice bottle, with nothing out of place - good balance, medium bodied, clean, crisp with a little richness, nothing too thrilling but certainly a solid champagne, especially given the sale price I paid. Glad to have more. (A-)
  • 2005 Tahbilk Cabernet Sauvignon Eric Stevens Purbrick - Australia, Victoria, Central Victoria, Nagambie Lakes (2023-09-20)
    Still deeply coloured, there is a nice nose of blackfruits, olives and a hint of cedar. Similar flavours (plus some dark chocolate) on the medium to full bodied, fruit forward palate. There are still healthy, ripe tannins, but no heat or alcohol (14.5%). This could last quite a while yet, but drinking well now. (A-)
  • 2018 Domaine de l'Hortus Vin de Pays du Val Montferrand Grande Cuvée - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Languedoc, Vin de Pays du Val Montferrand (2023-09-17)
    Hazy impressions from a few weeks ago. Manages to be fairly rich but yet has the acidity to keep it fresh. Some complexity from the blend of grapes used. (B+/A-)
  • 2021 Meyer Family Vineyards Chardonnay Stevens Block Old Main Road Vineyard - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley (2023-09-17)
    Had a glass at a birthday party. This had a nice restraint, being more in the savory than the overt fruit realm. As the previous note stated, it was a combination of citrus fruit and stonefruit and had an appealing and moreish taste and texture to it. A well made chardonnay in the 'new' style. (A-)
  • 2013 Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico Riserva - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (2023-09-07)
    Hazy notes. Nice chianti drinking well now. Lots of red fruits and some earth and herbs, medium bodied, little tannins left, acidity not too forward. (A-)
  • 2005 Domaine Saint Préfert Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve Auguste Favier - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (2023-09-05)
    This was drinking very well last night. Lots of ripe plums, game and leather, medium to full bodied, nicely balanced and a treat to drink at this phase. (A-)
  • 2005 Clos Saint Jean Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (2023-09-05)
    Hazy notes from a couple of days ago. This was a little hot on the nose and palate, but not extremely so. But the high alcohol was also followed by quite ripe fruit and low acidity. On the downslope? A bad bottle? (B-)
  • NV Barbier-Louvet Champagne Premier Cru L'Héritage de Serge" - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (2023-09-03)
    Brought to a restaurant and it was a hit. Similar to my last bottle, it has a nice mousse and a rich, concentrated fruit profile but with enough acidity and a moderate dosage to make it balanced. Both elegant and rich in style, great QPR. (A-)
  • 2021 Seppeltsfield Riesling Watervale - Australia, South Australia, Mount Lofty Ranges, Watervale (2023-08-28)
    Very light gold/yellow in colour. Nice if light nose of apples, lime, pear and peach on the nose. Not quite as austere as some Aussie rieslings, but certainly quite dry. Similar flavours on the medium bodied palate with a nice long finish. Nice ripe acidity yet a slightly oily texture that helps create that nice finish. Very good now but will last years. (A-)
  • 2007 Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Le Mont - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (2023-08-21)
    Brought to a tasting. Didn't take notes, but this was a nice sec style that had good, ripe acidity and a mix of mainly stonefruit/tropical notes and some citrus flavours. Nice balance. I would drink up fairly soon, but no great rush. (A-)
  • 2005 Domaine Huet Vouvray Demi-Sec Le Mont - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (2023-08-21)
    Brought to a tasting, this performed very well again. There were layers of flavour in this wine, just off dry, great balance and seemingly no rush to drink this (but drinking very well now). (A-/A)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN - Various recent bottles

by Dale Williams » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:42 pm

The Huets sound great.
I know a lot of people thought 2009 Beaujolais was a bit OTT, but I've had mostly very good experiences.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:47 pm

I thought Tahbilk only made Marsanne! :lol:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:46 pm

John S wrote:[*]2009 Georges Descombes Morgon - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (2023-10-31)
This was fairly light ruby in colour, with a nose of cherry, earthy notes and a bit of tar. It was quite intense on the medium boded palate, with a blast of fruit, herbal notes, more earth and tar. Really drinking well now, and it doesn't seem in any danger of fading anytime soon. On the second day, it showed more elegance and complexity but still nice intensity, with the acid really giving the wine a lift. (A-)

Sorry to be annoying but was this really the regular and not the VV? One doesn't usually expect the regular to last so long (at least I don't) but 2009 did have a good dose of fruit.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:34 pm

Yes, just the regular Morgon. It was a real eye opener for me too. One of my favourite beaujolais experiences, it really punched above its weight, and had a great mix of fruit and savory notes. Wish I had more!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:49 pm

John S wrote:Yes, just the regular Morgon. It was a real eye opener for me too. One of my favourite beaujolais experiences, it really punched above its weight, and had a great mix of fruit and savory notes. Wish I had more!

Nice. I rarely buy or keep the regular, but nice that it worked out so well!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:55 pm

We discovered that '09 Descombes regular Morgon too. It was a bit rustic, at least compared to the other '09s I was loving on, but robustly charming and sold around here for around $10/bottle. I am glad to see that it's still purring.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:38 pm

Some interesting wines, John.

I found some 1987 Tahbilk cab in the cellar recently - be interesting to see if they are still decent drinking (likely not.....)