The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Four Whites & A Red Over The Weekend.....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Four Whites & A Red Over The Weekend.....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:04 pm

Shared this passel of wines w/Susan over the weekend:
1. Carlisle TheDErivative f'(x) SonomaCnty WW (13.9% 47% Semillon/37% Muscadelle/14% Colombard/2% Palamino; 385 cs) 2019: Light gold color; strong Semillon/green olive/figgy some earthy/dusty/OV rather old timey/rustic rather interesting nose; quite tart/tangy some metallic/steely bit lean/angular strong Semillon/green olive/figgy bit dusty/OV very old timey flavor; med.long lean/austere finish mimics the flavor; a rather lean/austere/metallic white that's not evolved into anything much interesting; a rather lean/old timey white that resembles some of those from Gus Sebastiani; maybe could use more age to soften but a bit disappointing.
2. LaColombera Derthone Timorasso Dd'OC: Colli Tortonesi (14%; Vent'Anni 2000-2020; Giuliani Imprts/Boulder) Fratelli Semino/LaColombera/Tortona 2020: Light gold color; very fragrant Timo/floral/gardenias almost R-like quite spicy slight cardamon/curry bit chalky/perfumed talc lovely nose; lightly tart rather rich/lush strong Timo/floral/gardenias quite spicy/perfumed talc bit chalky/mineral lovely flaver very long/lingering rich/lush Timo finish that mirrors flavor; a really lovely expression of Timo that seems a bit richer/lusher than previous versions. $26.50 (KK)
3. Jankara DOCG: Vermentino di Gallura Superiore Sardinia (14%; www.ViniJankara.com; Empson IMprts/Alexandria/VA) Jankara/Sant'Antonio di Gallura 2022: Light gold color w/ lots of tiny bubbles; strong floral/Verm/carnations/ripe slight perfumed talc/stony fairly rich very fragrant nose; slightly tart fairly rich/lush rather Verm/floral/carnations slight Italianate/earthy/rustic slight metallic/tangy bit dissolved CO2 flavor; very long tangy/metallic finish that mimics flavor; quite a lovely rather rich expression of Verm. $26.00 (KK)
4. 9 is Enough Primitivo Rosato (9.0%; www.ValentriaPassalacqua.It; Jenny&Francois Slctns/NY) Apricena NV: Lightly garnet/slight bricking quite cloudy/hazy color; rather earthy/natty/unclkean/bit mousey very slight Zin rather rustic little fruit rather unattractive nose; soft rather tangy/metallic quite natty/earthy/unclean/bit mousey no fruit somewhat sour/bitter unpleasant flavor; pretty much undrinkable and no redeeming features; another Jenny&Francois natural loser. $24.00 (KK)
5. Ruggero di Bardo IGP: Susumaniello/Puglia RW (14.5%; D'Aquino Italian Imprts/Duarte/CA) Monte Purzio/Roma 2021: Dark color; very strong grapey/plummy/blackberry/ripe/boysenberry rather Zin-like bit earthy/Italianate nose; soft very grapey/plummy/blackberry/boysenberry bit earthy/rustic flavor w/ light ripe tannins; very long very strong very grapey/plummy finish that mimics flavor; resembles a lot a very ripe Primitivo from Puglia; a big/soft juicy red at a great price. $10.00 (TJ)
1. Colombera: This has always been one of my favorite Timos at a very attractive price, of the level of those from Walter Massa. I was immediately attracted to the label. It was different from any that I had previously seen. On the left-hand side of the label it declared "Venti'Anni 2000-2020". None of the others of this wine on the shelf had that logo. None of the images on the two WebSites show that logo on the label. What does it mean? I haven't a clue!!
2. Jankara: This Sardinian producer was a new one for me. I was fairly impressed with this Verm. It reminded me a lot of the Ryme Hers Verm. Not as strong aromatics and a bit more rustic earthiness, but the same rich/lush character.
3. 9 Is Enough: This new wine w/ an ugly label showed up at Kokomans, so wanted to try it. I then noticed the Jenny&Francois Slctn on the back label, an importer thta specializes in natural wines, so immediately had second thoughts. But thought I'd give it a shot. One can always hope.
This is a producer that hopes to explore new frontiers (or new depths) of natural wines by going for low-alcohol. The "9 is Enough" refers to the low level of alcohol in this wine.
It was way too natty/unclean for my tastes. Once again, the dogma of natural wines triumphs over a good-tasting wine.
This is a wine that resembles a very ripe Primitivo from Puglia. Clearly a grape variety they should be planting all up&down the Coast of Calif, where they could make the World's greatest Susumaniello.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Four Whites & A Red Over The Weekend.....(short/bor

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:49 pm

You are a true glutton for natty punishment. :mrgreen:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Well...

by TomHill » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:30 am

David M. Bueker wrote:You are a true glutton for natty punishment. :mrgreen:

Well, David....guess I'm a slow learner!!
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Four Whites & A Red Over The Weekend.....(short/bor

by Jenise » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:44 pm

"Susumaniello: This is a very rare grape found almost exclusivley in Puglia. DNA indicates it is a natural cross between a Puglia table grape & the white Garganega variety."

I dislike the kind of soft ripeness you describe in this wine, but I'll buy a bottle today at TJ's (if they have it) just to say I've tried that grape. Never heard of it before.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Well...

by TomHill » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:09 pm

Jenise wrote:"Susumaniello: This is a very rare grape found almost exclusivley in Puglia. DNA indicates it is a natural cross between a Puglia table grape & the white Garganega variety."

I dislike the kind of soft ripeness you describe in this wine, but I'll buy a bottle today at TJ's (if they have it) just to say I've tried that grape. Never heard of it before.

Well, Jenise.....the wine is definitely on the soft/porky/soupy side I would say.
It was more an intellectual experience than a profound sensual experience.
Try it w/ low expectations.
Tom