The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Maranges, Sancerre, Alba, MSR Halbtrocken

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Maranges, Sancerre, Alba, MSR Halbtrocken

by Dale Williams » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:29 pm

Quick bouillabaisse (clams, scallops, pollack, shrimp) and salad
2022 Yves Martin Chavignol Sancerre
Clean, classic, citrus with light accents of grass, solid acids, nice mineral finish. B+

Pork tenderloin, potatoes, Romanesco, and spigarello
2019 Sarrazin Maranges
I’ve only had a few Maranges in my lifetime, and none recently. Not what I expected- ripe black raspberry, a touch of heat, some vanillin oak. More modern/less rustic than my expectations, maybe would have been more appealing with a steak. B-

No wine Monday with opah , leftover potatoes, and salad

Tuesday bucatini amatriciana , broccoli rabe , salad
2021 Burlotto Aves Barbera d’Alba
Another wine that was bigger than I expected. Full bodied, ripe tannins, big dark berry fruit, sweet and concentrated. Blind I would have never guessed Barbera nor Burlotto. Not what I wanted. B-/C+

Last night chicken stirfry with cilantro/ginger/scallion, steamed cabbage with radish kimchi, haiga rice with furikake
2015 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Himmelreich Riesling Kabinett Halbtrocken
After a pretty open bottle of the ‘15 Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Kab, I was a little worried when this showed a bit tight and muted at first. But a little air did wonders. Snappy acids, green apple and grapefruit with gingery spice. Nice taut finish, works very well with food (as halbtrocken is wont to do). B++

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.