The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine from a country new to me

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Wine from a country new to me

by Peter May » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:19 pm

Having searched out odd wines during many years of drinking I was delighted to have a wine from a country I’ve never had. Indeed if asked, I’d have guessed they didn’t make wine there, but Jordan does.

My son went to Jordan on business and he brought back a bottle of

2020 Jordan River Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve (Jordan, Madaba)

Which we had with dinner on Friday and jolly good it was too. Although I think it could have been better with longer in the bottle. Having spent 12 months in French oak barrels, it was closed and tannic. My son said he’d had their non-reserve unoaked Cab Sauv in Jordan and really enjoyed them.

Unfortunately he brought only one bottle, for which he was criticised by his partner, but as the bottle weighed a hefty 1.65 Kg, I understood. Hopefully he will return to Jordan next year.

Winery website https://jr.jo/
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Wine from a country new to me

by Jenise » Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:07 pm

That's pretty cool. Wine is more universal than most of us realize. Last time I read something about it, all states in the U.S. but two produce wine. But how many does one ever see? Almost none. Like the Jordanian wine, you have to go there.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:17 am

Jenise wrote: Last time I read something about it, all states in the U.S. but two produce wine. But how many does one ever see? Almost none. .

I read that all US states make wine.

But some make it from imported juice and/or fruits, such as Alaska

It used to be that only Hawaii made wine from fruits - but I think someone here said they now grew grapes they made into wine.

For the record, my definition of wine is that its made from grapes; I'm prevaricating about which species tho' Vitis Vinifera certainly, but native species that can only be made into wine with the addition of water and sugar are really wines made from fruits....

Jenise wrote: But how many does one ever see? Almost none. .

A kind answer is that they make too little and so are not price competitive against the West Coast producers. Another answer could be that their product is not competitive against the West Coast producers, a third answer could be that the three tier system keeps them from the market.

In the UK as well as the three West Coast states, we've had wines from Virginia and New York State on retail at various times
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:08 pm

It's all three. Essentially, a wine like that would be a hand-sell. There IS a middle eastern market in town that sells mostly wines from that area, certainly a lot of Greek and Lebanese, even Musar. We have a large Greek population hereabouts, and the owners are Lebanese, so makes sense.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov