The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 1994 Henschke Keyneton, 1987 Tahbilk Cab

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN: 1994 Henschke Keyneton, 1987 Tahbilk Cab

by Bill Spohn » Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:45 pm

I expect that many people have some cellar lurkers that escape the corkscrew by hiding, sometimes for years. I recently dug out several of these and these are notes on a couple of them.

1994 Henschke Keyneton Estate - made from shiraz, cab and malbec, this is a wine I haven't tasted for a decade or so. It was showing some very nice cola and mint in the nose, and had decent fruit levels and a long smooth finish. Very nice showing and no rush to drink my remaining bottles.

1987 Ch. Tahbilk Cabernet - this one os a blend of 90% cab sauv and 10% cab franc. I approached it cautiously, not expecting too much. At first sniff is was a pleasant rather Burgundian nose, had an orangish colour and seemed thin with little happening on the finish. I always leave this sort of wine alone for a bit, to either crash and die or rally and muster some more interest than they show initially. Fortunately this one did the latter. Fully resolved with some saddle leather and faint spice notes, it opened up to resemble a venerable pinot more than a cab blend, and held well for an hour. Nice surprise!