The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Silver Threads and Goldert Needles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Silver Threads and Goldert Needles

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:19 pm

• 2004 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Goldert - France, Alsace, Alsace Grand Cru (12/10/2023)
    Eight years ago I opened a bottle of this wine, and it was brutally hot and undrinkable. Fast forward to this bottle, and it was rich, mature Gewurztraminer with no intrusion from the alcohol. Quite the turnaround, and one that was completely unexpected. Dark gold color, classic Gewurz aromas, and bit bit of a grilled/singed edge to the fruit from age. Added complexity, and was a fantastic match to our roasted pumpkin soup.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Silver Threads and Goldert Needles

by Rahsaan » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:23 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
  • 2004 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Goldert - France, Alsace, Alsace Grand Cru (12/10/2023)
    Dark gold color, classic Gewurz aromas, and bit bit of a grilled/singed edge to the fruit from age. Added complexity, and was a fantastic match to our roasted pumpkin soup.

Sounds great, and definitely one of those unique profiles that only aged Gewurz can fulfill, making the special match with that dish. For many of us, the question is whether the upside of the evolution is worth the wait/storage space. But, all depends how much space you have!!

I had a 2012 Grand Cru Alsatian Gewurz (forgot the producer) with the first course when I was at dinner at Oxford earlier this fall. I thought it was an inspired choice, because not something I drink/see very often, and worked very well. (Although still didn't inspire me to age some myself!)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Silver Threads and Goldert Needles

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:31 pm

Space? I have no space. I need a drinking problem to address my buying problem.
Decisions are made by those who show up