The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Already Gonon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Already Gonon

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:33 pm

• 2011 Pierre Gonon St. Joseph - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (12/11/2023)
    A master class in savory. There’s a touch of dark fruit (more evident on the palate), but then an avalanche of savory, from smoke, to leather, to light soy and sautéed mushroom. Deep as a glacial crevasse, it still has substantial structure that will carry the wine for years to come. I am not the biggest fan of Northern Rhône Syrah, but this is spectacular.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Already Gonon

by Dale Williams » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:01 pm

Thanks, really love Gonon but can't do current pricing. I have a few random bottles 2006-2011 left. This makes me look forward to them even more
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:02 pm

I am right there with you. 2011 was the last I bought (and I have sold a few). Still have a few VV bottles that will require a gathering of true geeks (e.g., you, Salil, Rahsaan, etc.).
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:28 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Still have a few VV bottles that will require a gathering of true geeks (e.g., you, Salil, Rahsaan, etc.).

Sounds good!!

I was going to ask about your comment up thread that you are not the biggest fan of Northern Rhone syrah. Is that in comparison to syrah from elsewhere or other grapes all together?

I still enjoy Northern Rhone syrah but have definitely bought less over the years, concentrating on Burgundy/spatburgunder, Beaujolais and Piedmont for red wine.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:27 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I was going to ask about your comment up thread that you are not the biggest fan of Northern Rhone syrah. Is that in comparison to syrah from elsewhere or other grapes all together?

Good question, and I actually had to think about it for a while. It's not that I dislike Northern Rhone syrah, but I just so rarely prepare/eat food to match with it, so it slips off both my purchasing and drinking radar. Some US West Coast syrah is a bit easier to pair with a subset of foods that I eat (the more pronounced fruit in some of them is an easier pairing with my moderately spicy cooking tendencies), but in general I think it's really more that I like syrah but have less and less practical use for it as time goes on. I ended up opening the Gonon because I had an unusual, and specific desire for that kind of wine that evening. Don't even know what brought it on.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:37 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Good question, and I actually had to think about it for a while. It's not that I dislike Northern Rhone syrah, but I just so rarely prepare/eat food to match with it, so it slips off both my purchasing and drinking radar...

Yes, that could play a role for me as well. Perhaps it doesn't shine as well with non-meat dishes.