The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A few from Friday night

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: A few from Friday night

by Jenise » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:59 am

So on Friday night my staff of 15 cooks met for a dinner in which we demo'd the meal we're making together for 75 people this coming Friday night. I supplied all the wine. Was really too busy to taste everything but these are the wines I did get to sample:

2018 Rasa Vineyards Founder's Reserve Columbia Valley Red Blend
From one of Washington's very best winemakers (who is also a MW): a blend that currently shows a lot of fine merlot character with violets and powdered sugar donut aromas on blue-black fruit. Does well as a pop and pour, but it's best days are ahead.

2021 Bodegas Muga Rioja Blanco Viura, Macabeo
Took two bottles. Kept hearing, "I don't usually care for white wines but I'm very impressed with this." Full-flavored with excellent body, but it's not a Dolly Parton. One of the best value white wines around--bought a case, and could use more.

2015 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Côte-Rôtie Domaine des Pierrelles Syrah
Has put on some weight since last bottle opened a year ago. Bright and earthy in delightful ways when served among a bunch of American wines. None of the burnt rubber commonly associated with CR, and not a long-term hold, but satisfying and my favorite of the night.

1995 Tuke Holdsworth Porto Vintage Port Blend
Dark and opaque for its age, rich flavors of fruit cake and dark chocolate. Finish lingers forever.

2012 Force Majeure Collaboration Series Ptera Force Majeure Vineyard Red Mountain Red Blend
A 50/50 blend of cabernet and syrah, something that works very well in this state and something I'd love to see more of.
lackberry, black cherry and mushrooms. Integrated, balanced, and holding up well. Some secondary nuances peaking around the corner; it's aging well and should continue to do so for the next five years.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A few from Friday night

by David M. Bueker » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:53 pm

Interesting to read highly positive comments on a recent Jaboulet bottling. I’ve had a couple that were better than good, but none more recent than 2010.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:51 pm

David, as Cote Roties go, it's not exemplary. I would expect a lot more; that said, they were a screaming deal for the $30ish/ea I paid, and this was the wine that made me happiest--especially with the food--on Friday night. All the others were bigger/sweeter new world wines of the type more suited to steaks and such (a distinction the other people I dined with are a lot less likely to make than me).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:09 am

Agree with the Muga blanco comments- a nice white that doesn’t taste like an ‘entry level’ wine. The rose is nice too.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:43 pm

John, I've always liked the white Muga, but this vintage was another level up from any I ever had before. I bought a case.