The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Syrah Swan Song

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Syrah Swan Song

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:47 pm

• 2010 Enfield Wine Co. Syrah Haynes Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Coombsville (12/18/2023)
    This bottle has been standing up, at the ready for a year. I just needed to decide to pull the trigger. Tonight was the night, and it could have been any night between now and 2030. The wine is in a fantastic spot, still showing dark berry fruit, but also loaded with savory elements, from roasted meat to light soy to warm leather and mushroom. It’s a complete Syrah that also has tannic and acid structure to go for much longer. If only I had a few more bottles.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Syrah Swan Song

by Jenise » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:55 pm

Sounds absolutely lovely. I've not been buying wine as I keep saying, but look on longingly over things other people post about. Enfield wines are definitely in that group.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:30 pm

My buying days will be ending in just a few months.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:53 pm

And there will always be exceptions. I picked up some Kobayashi syrah (the hardest wines to get in WA right now) the other day and some St. Innocent BdBs. But that's filling holes or nabbing once in a lifetime opportunities--indulgent, off-plan puchases that really aren't justifiable, I merely pretend they are. Buying is a hard habit to break.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:11 pm

Jenise wrote:And there will always be exceptions. I picked up some Kobayashi syrah (the hardest wines to get in WA right now) the other day and some St. Innocent BdBs. But that's filling holes or nabbing once in a lifetime opportunities--indulgent, off-plan puchases that really aren't justifiable, I merely pretend they are. Buying is a hard habit to break.

Hard? More like impossible. I am drastically cutting back but there is a line item in the retirement budget for monthly wine…mostly Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:07 am

When do you plan to retire?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:11 am

David M. Bueker wrote:My buying days will be ending in just a few months.

My wife keeps exhorting me to call an end to wine buying - we have enough to keep us going for 11 or 12 years at our normal consumption rate (not including wine lunches and such), but I am weak willed and when something interesting comes along I have little resistance (it doesn't help that my friends are like minded - not mentioning a lady whose name starts with a 'J'). The one thing that dissuades me from accumulating even more wine is the prospect of paying $150 or $200 for current vintages of wines I used to pay a relative pittance for. Good example - the 2019 Jaboulet La Chapelle costs $365 a bottle here (I used to pay maybe $50).