The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ridge AlderSprings Vermentino '22...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Ridge AlderSprings Vermentino '22...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:32 pm

We tried this new Ridge at Pig+Fig last night:
1. Ridge AlderSprings MendoCnty (13.0%; 76% Vermentino/24% Falanghina; 6 brls; Drk: 12/22-all Summer long: SR) 2022: Light gold color; lovely floral/Verm/gardenias slight herbal/spicy light pencilly/oak very fragrant/perfumed talc very attractive nose; fairly tart/tangy/bit metallic light pencilly/oak some floral/Verm/gardenias some spicy/citrusy slightly lean/savory bit subtle flavor; very long/lingering somewhat wirey/subtle finish that mimics flavor; a lovely savory/svelte/elegant/wirey/graceful expression of Calif Verm at a very good price. $36.00/$31.50 (ATP)
1. This wine comes from the reknowned AlderSpringsRanch of StuBewley (www.alderspringsvineyard.com) in the far Western reaches of Mendocino Cnty North of the Ukiah Vlly. It was first planted in 1993 and has continued to expand over the yrs. It has a fascinating collection of varieties & clones. The farming is impeccable & his grapes are highly sought by a number of quality producers.
I was a bit surprised by the style of this Verm, particularly on the palate. Usually, Calif Verm is pretty lush & loaded w/ fruit. Think the Ryme Hers Verm. But this rendition of Calif Verm is much more elegant/wirey/subtle/lean. But not at all vapid. It has a lilting presence as it pirouettes across the palate like a graceful ballet dancer. No combat boots here. To me, it very much reminded me of a Pigato from Liguria. Quite a lovely if atypical expression of Calif Verm made by Shauna Rosenblum. Only 6 brls made & pretty rare Ridge wine.
Tom