The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: St Julien, Assyrtiko, Riesling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: St Julien, Assyrtiko, Riesling

by Dale Williams » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:55 pm

Somehow when I was doing notes last week I apparently cut (and then neglected to paste) a note on the other Bordeaux we had at our lamb dinner, the 2002 Ch. Lagrange (St-J) So I don’t have my notes from that night, but I remember (a) oak was still a tad unintegrated (b) it was a little fruitier/rounder than I expected for 2002, and ( c) I liked but didn’t love it.

Wednesday was grey sole, broccoli rabe, potatoes, and the 2022 Hatzidakis Familia Assyrtiko (Santorini). Green apple, citrus, bright, a little wet rock. Good, but not a particular deal at $30+. B

Thursday chicken tonkatsu style with chicory slaw, rice with furikake, and the 2014 Rings
Saumagen Riesling GG.
Solid acid core, Granny smith, lemon, and ginger, fairly powerful, but straightforward. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: St Julien, Assyrtiko, Riesling

by David M. Bueker » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:08 am

Interesting on the Lagrange. 2002 is the last vintage where I would expect notes like that.

Rings is one of those producers that I keep testing and never get enticed to buy more of what I tried.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: St Julien, Assyrtiko, Riesling

by Dale Williams » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:43 pm

I was surprised by the ripeness/fruity qualities, I think of 2002 as a good but slightly stern vintage. Lagrange often seems to show a fair amount of new oak young,I just expected a little more integration.