The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

RIP Ernest Gallo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

RIP Ernest Gallo

by Randy Buckner » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:59 am

BERKELEY, California (AP) -- Ernest Gallo, who parlayed $5,900 and a wine recipe from a public library into the world's largest winemaking empire, died Tuesday at his home in Modesto. He was 97.

"He passed away peacefully this afternoon surrounded by his family," said Susan Hensley, vice president of public relations for E.&J. Gallo Winery.

Gallo, who would have been 98 on March 18, was born near Modesto, a then-sleepy San Joaquin Valley town about 80 miles east of San Francisco. He and his late brother and business partner, Julio, grew up working in the vineyard owned by their immigrant father who came to America from Italy's famed winemaking region of Piedmont.

They founded the E.&J. Gallo Winery in 1933, at the end of Prohibition, when they were still mourning the murder-suicide deaths of their parents.

Using $5,900 they borrowed and a recipe from the Modesto Public Library, Ernest and Julio rented a ramshackle building, and everybody in the family pitched in to make ordinary wine for 50 cents a gallon -- half the going price. The Gallos made $30,000 the first year.

"They started with virtually zero knowledge, they started with an idea and a drive that created the family empire that still exists and dominates today," said Peter Mondavi Jr., co-proprietor of Charles Krug Winery and a member of another influential winemaking family.

It grew to become the world's largest wine company by volume, a title since taken by Constellation Brands of New York. But Gallo remains second, selling an estimated 75 million cases under more than 40 labels.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: RIP Ernest Gallo

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:23 am

Randy Buckner wrote:BERKELEY, California (AP) -- Ernest Gallo, who parlayed $5,900 and a wine recipe from a public library into the world's largest winemaking empire, died Tuesday at his home in Modesto. He was 97.

Whatever what you say about the winery and its wines, the story of Ernest and Julio Gallo has to rank among the great immigrant family stories. May he rest in peace.

Here's a link to the obit in the Times of London:

Wine Mogul Ernest Gallo dies at 97
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:36 am

Randy Buckner wrote:"They started with virtually zero knowledge, they started with an idea and a drive that created the family empire that still exists and dominates today," said Peter Mondavi Jr., co-proprietor of Charles Krug Winery and a member of another influential winemaking family.

Although I don't as a rule drink Gallo wines, I think that it's time I buy one to raise a toast to a fine entrepreneur. Anyone who can start a family business with "virtually zero knowledge" and go with "an idea and a drive" (quote above) is admirable in my opinion.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:45 am

Paul B. wrote:Although I don't as a rule drink Gallo wines, I think that it's time I buy one to raise a toast to a fine entrepreneur. Anyone who can start a family business with "virtually zero knowledge" and go with "an idea and a drive" (quote above) is admirable in my opinion.

Paul, that is such a fine idea that I propose we all buy a bottle of some Gallo wine and have an on-line toast in tonight's Chat Session! 8)
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:47 am

A great story, indeed, Robin.

One of my favorite wine cartoons:

Wife to another couple at dinner: Surprisingly good, isn’t it? It’s Gallo. Mort and I simply got tired of being snobs.

Cartoon ©1973, New Yorker Magazine; appears in Kevin Zraly, Windows on the World Complete Wine Course, 1997.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:26 am

I'm sorry, but I'm not about to canonize this old goat. He and his brother and his wonderful family have a lot to answer for. To this day I still get the occasional customer looking for "California Chablis" and "California Burgundy." The Gallos put legitimate French regional names on bottles that they filled with bulk junk. Bad enough that they called it "Chablis," but even worse that the bottle was actually filled with columbard. Or whatever was cheap at the moment. And Gallo "Hearty Burgundy"--they should have gone to jail for that one. It wasn't from Burgundy and it sure as hell didn't have any pinot noir in it.

To compound it all, after building an empire on false labeling, they trotted out their photogenic granddaughter and started touting "Gallo of Sonoma," as though they had suddenly discovered that appellations actually meant something.

I'm sorry. The Gallo brothers were not fine upstanding immigrant entrepreneurs. They were flim-flam men from the get-go. And the damage they've done to the legitimacy of appellations lingers on.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: RIP Ernest Gallo (SFGate.com and Guest Book)

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:59 am

And now what?
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:45 pm

They certainly weren't perfect, and I don't want to minimize their sins, but they did make wine for the masses when no one else was. For that, alone, they deserve some respect.
no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 pm

nyc

by Tom V » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:08 pm

Phew! Obviously, you really feel strongly about this Dave!

As for myself, I can't agree that the brothers G committed any big crime. After all, anyone who really thought that it was "Burgundy" or "Chablis" would be so far the other end of wine savvy that it wouldn't make any difference! I doubt many jug drinkers would on their very next trip to the wine store, pick up a top end French Burgundy or Chablis and be shocked at the nerve of the brothers G to perpetrate such a fraud. I think the Gallos viewed it as affixing a recognizable name to their product. I don't think they intended to fool anyone, in fact, they would probably have been more surprised than anyone if folks thought they were getting a French world class wine.

My father drank primarily jug wine with dinner throughout his life. It was my introduction to wine and started me on the path to greater wine appreciation. I'll bet Gallo wines did that for many, and, it wasn't bad with dinner either, still better than lots of wines that come in 750ml bottles with greater pretensions, and are downright awful!

I'll toast to the Gallos. Tom V
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:29 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:The Gallos put legitimate French regional names on bottles that they filled with bulk junk. [ . . . ]

And the damage they've done to the legitimacy of appellations lingers on.

Hmmm, I'd always assumed that, at least in today's market, the packaging alone would lead few consumers to confuse Hearty Burgundy with anything AOC from France. I thought the hilarious contrast was a harmless relic of how wine was marketed years and years ago--perhaps not harmless though?

I thought a more recent development by the folks at Gallo was much more damaging to appellations. They evidently sell wine abroad harvested from the elusive 'Sierra Valley' in California. As far as I know, no such appellation exists and I presume they can only get away with it because they aren't selling it in the US (otherwise I believe the folks at ATFE or whoever makes such decisions now would throw a fuss--I talked with a winemaker once who've been banned from referring to a 'valley' as the powers that be didn't want it to look like a reference to an appellation). A link referring to the whole mess is at drvino.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:58 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm not about to canonize this old goat. He and his brother and his wonderful family have a lot to answer for. To this day I still get the occasional customer looking for "California Chablis" and "California Burgundy." The Gallos put legitimate French regional names on bottles that they filled with bulk junk. Bad enough that they called it "Chablis," but even worse that the bottle was actually filled with columbard. Or whatever was cheap at the moment. And Gallo "Hearty Burgundy"--they should have gone to jail for that one. It wasn't from Burgundy and it sure as hell didn't have any pinot noir in it.

Dave - I'm not a wine historian, but it's my impression that the use of European regional names for California wines was happening well before the Gallos came along. They were just going along with established practice.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:07 pm

Dave:

I'm not into hagiography either, and especially for a hard-nosed businessman like E. Gallo.

But I think you're being a little harsh in putting all the blame for all the bad things on Ernest and his bro. They didn't invent the generic labelling in CA. Nope, they just did the marketing, distribution and sales things better than the other guys who were all doing it.

Long before the Gallos came around, other people were selling the stuff generically. Italian Swiss Colony was the mega-giant back then, when Gallo was a mere upstart. So I hardly think you can put that weight on the Gallos...they were just doing what the market by then was demanding.

Hey, times were different. Way different. Heck, when I got into the business you couldn't SELL varietally identified wines. No one knew what they were; they had to be invented by the wine marketers. And it wasn't all that easy to sell--or explain---to the buyers. Lot easier for them to pick up "branded" wines with a house style. Again, that wasn't the Gallos that did that.

As a matter of fact, the Gallos did just as much as anyone else in shifting over to varietally identified wines, when they figured out where the market was shifting. Yeah, of course they still had the "Sherry" and "Port", and even the synthetic Thunderbird, but that's because the old boys were hardnosed businessmen who were satisfying the market demand (while helping to create market demand) with those products. And still do.

Nah, while you can put an awful lot of faults on the doorstep of the Gallos (there are stories I can tell, hoo boy), I think you're being unfair with the ones you selected.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:19 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm not about to canonize this old goat. He and his brother and his wonderful family have a lot to answer for. To this day I still get the occasional customer looking for "California Chablis" and "California Burgundy." The Gallos put legitimate French regional names on bottles that they filled with bulk junk. Bad enough that they called it "Chablis," but even worse that the bottle was actually filled with columbard. Or whatever was cheap at the moment. And Gallo "Hearty Burgundy"--they should have gone to jail for that one. It wasn't from Burgundy and it sure as hell didn't have any pinot noir in it.

To compound it all, after building an empire on false labeling, they trotted out their photogenic granddaughter and started touting "Gallo of Sonoma," as though they had suddenly discovered that appellations actually meant something.

I'm sorry. The Gallo brothers were not fine upstanding immigrant entrepreneurs. They were flim-flam men from the get-go. And the damage they've done to the legitimacy of appellations lingers on.

and to further compound, having felt free to 'borrow' the names burgundy & chablis (admittedly as many others have done over the years), they then forced the Italian Chianti producers organisation to change it's name from Gallo Nero, because this infringed their trademark.

It's sad to hear of someone dying though and it's always sad to hear no matter what we think of them. There is always a grieving family and they've no doubt lost a very dear family member.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:31 pm

and to further compound, having felt free to 'borrow' the names burgundy & chablis (admittedly as many others have done over the years), they then forced the Italian Chianti producers organisation to change it's name from Gallo Nero, because this infringed their trademark.

Again, I'm not into Gallo hagiography, but that's not quite a correct statement, Ian.

The Gallos didn't "force" the Consorzio to change it's name. They took the trademark issue to court, and the court decided in their favor. The court made the ruling, not the Gallos. Blame the court. And I wonder where that court was that made the ruling???

(Also, once the matter was decided, the Gallos did not object to the use of the black rooster icon, just the use of the name Gallo.) Let's keep things in proportion, despite all our prejudices. And just for the record, I thought the court decision was ridiculous as well.)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:34 pm

One of the things that bothers me about the Gallo story is how the older brothers treated their younger brother. Where do you stand on that issue, Hoke?
Last edited by Bob Ross on Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:27 pm

Does anyone know how much wine Ernest drank on a regular basis? I'm trying to build a case.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:30 pm

Because the Gallos did what everyone else did, only they did it on a spectacular scale, somehow makes it all right?

I don't see anything particularly quaint or endearing about ripping off appellation names and then turning around and sueing everyone in sight who tried to us the Gallo name to sell a product--including their own brother.

And the practice continues! They're using the "Livingston" label now, but it's still Gallo, and it's still the same old crappy wine with a French appellation pasted on the label to give it the marketing "class" it so completely lacks.

I'm in favor of popularizing wine as much as the next person. Maybe even a little moreso. But I draw the line at outright fraud, and see nothing remotely acceptable about it.

I'm not happy to learn of the death of anyone. But please don't try to paint these guys as popularizing saints. They were nothing of the kind.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:19 pm

Covert wrote:Does anyone know how much wine Ernest drank on a regular basis? I'm trying to build a case.

I guess he drank one too many bottles of Night Train.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:27 pm

I admire anyone who has the smarts and good fortune to make such a good fortune as Ernest Gallo did.

On the other hand, his firm did engage in some pretty despicable practices. I think the Night Train marketing campaign was their low point. The Gallo marketeers noticed that one market that they didn't dominate was skid row drunks. So they invented ultra-cheap, high-alcohol, sweet, and thoroughly disgusting "Night Train". To promote the new brand, they left half-opened bottles of it in paper bags in doorways of abandoned buildings in skid row districts in major US cities. Night Train soon was a major competitor for Ripple and Mad Dog 20/20 among skid row drunks.

Ethically, they're almost as bad as Microsoft.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:32 pm

I will pay TOP dollar for a bottle of Night Train with Gina Gallo's signature on it. Anyone?
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:41 pm

But please don't try to paint these guys as popularizing saints. They were nothing of the kind.

That is NOT what I wrote, Dave, and please don't try to intimate that it is. I clearly said that these guys aren't worthy of being elevated to sainthood. Ernest, in particular, was not a very nice person (serious understatement).

They were brutal in business, didn't appear to have much in the way of morals or ethics, and were rapacious in their practices. You want to condemn them for that, go right ahead; I certainly won't have any objections.

But you were criticising them, singling them out, for doing what everyone else was doing, not for all the things they should've been blamed for (and were, over the years). Hey, you've got a burr in your butt over generic labelling rules in the US, take it up with the Feds that allow it. Can't put that on Gallo, I'm afraid. Way too much blame to go around there--it was already well established practice long before they came along.

Bob: I thought what the brothers did to their own brother, and how they did it especially, was utterly despicable. It smacked to me of the scenes in The Godfather, you know, the ones about this being "just business".

Interesting that when Joe died recently, little notice was taken.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Hoke -- the family business really bothered me. I wondered if I was missing part of the story.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:19 am

Howie Hart wrote:
Paul B. wrote:Although I don't as a rule drink Gallo wines, I think that it's time I buy one to raise a toast to a fine entrepreneur. Anyone who can start a family business with "virtually zero knowledge" and go with "an idea and a drive" (quote above) is admirable in my opinion.

Paul, that is such a fine idea that I propose we all buy a bottle of some Gallo wine and have an on-line toast in tonight's Chat Session! 8)

While looking for bottles to bottle some of my "06 Rose, I found the magnum of Gallo Family Twin Valley Moscato that I purchased for the chat session last March. There is only about 3 inches left in the bottle (I think I used most of it for cooking). With much difficulty, I pried the synthetic cork out of the neck, and lo and behold - this wine has not changed in the nine months since it was opened. Light gold, distinctive muscat aromas, lively fruit and still sickeningly sweet. :shock:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:02 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:I admire anyone who has the smarts and good fortune to make such a good fortune as Ernest Gallo did.

On the other hand, his firm did engage in some pretty despicable practices. I think the Night Train marketing campaign was their low point. The Gallo marketeers noticed that one market that they didn't dominate was skid row drunks. So they invented ultra-cheap, high-alcohol, sweet, and thoroughly disgusting "Night Train". To promote the new brand, they left half-opened bottles of it in paper bags in doorways of abandoned buildings in skid row districts in major US cities. Night Train soon was a major competitor for Ripple and Mad Dog 20/20 among skid row drunks.

Ethically, they're almost as bad as Microsoft.

-Paul W.

Seriously?

Do have any source citation to show this was the case? If true, that is the most dispicable act of overt greed I have ever encountered.

Wow :shock:
Next