The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Tinker, Soldier, Spy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

WTN: Tinker, Soldier, Spy

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:07 pm

1997 Vintage Porto, Taylor Fladgate

From a 750ml bottle. The first bottle I opened was corked. :( The wine is still rather young-looking, although it's thrown a ton of sediment. Classic, complex Taylor aromas after some aeration. Lovely flavors and excellent balance on the palate, but still a bit of rough tannins there. It struck me as surprisingly youthful for a 27 year old Port. I plan to wait at least five more years before I open another one of these. Double Curly Moe.

-Paul W.
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Tinker, Soldier, Spy

by Jenise » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:53 am

Was it a 750? Hope you shared it with friends; even with two of us here, it takes us forever to finish a bottle of port hence we rarely open them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:58 am

The last 1997 I tried (Fonseca) was at the 20 year mark, and it was predictably youthful.

I bought 2011 and 2016 Ports why???
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:42 pm

This was a 750ml bottle. I'll update the tasting note. I live alone, and decades ago I decided that if I was going to both enjoy fine wine and have a working liver, I'd have to use some wine preservation system. I settled on a nitrogen dispensing system. It consists of stopper/dispensers--devices with a tube that extends down into the bottle, a rubber stopper to seal the device in place in the bottleneck, and a lever-operated dispenser on the top. This connects to a standard-sized nitrogen bottle, obtainable at any welding supply company. It works on a bottle-exchange basis like Blue Rhino propane tanks--you take your empty bottle to the welding supply store and exchange it for a full one.

The brand name is Winekeeper. It works like this. First you uncork the bottle. Then you put the stopper/dispenser in the bottleneck but don't tighten the seal. You connect the stopper/dispenser to the nitrogen supply and let nitrogen flow into the bottle for 10 seconds or so to purge the air out of the wine bottle's ullage space and replace it with nitrogen. You disconnect from the nitrogen supply, tighten down the stopper/dispenser, reconnect to the nitrogen, and you're good to go. I've kept partly full wine bottles for over a month this way. You always get a fresh pour, as if you'd just uncorked the bottle.

The system does have its drawbacks. You have to be a bit careful with wines like vintage Port that throw a heavy sediment that you don't have the stopper/dispenser tube sucking up sediment. You can still do decanting, but on a per-serving basis.

David, I stopped buying vintage Port with the 2000 vintage as there's a good chance the vintages after that won't be mature until after I'm gone.

-Paul W.

P. S. - If you visit the Winekeeper website, you'll see that they offer all sorts of fancy cabinetry to house their system. Also, their standard consumer offerings use non-standard (small), non-refillable nitrogen bottles, for which they charge a small fortune. Their commercial wine dispensers (for wine shops and restaurants) do use standard gas bottle fittings. You can buy a pressure regulator that fits industry standard nitrogen bottles at one end and a Winekeeper stopper/dispenser at the other end from their spare parts page. That is the setup that I use. I can give you the part numbers if you're interested.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:36 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I bought 2011 and 2016 Ports why???

Because you're closing in on 60 and you have to pretend you're immortal!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:20 pm

I opened another of these last night. This one was young as vintage Port goes but more approachable. It's going to be tough for me to keep my grubby hands off these during the next five years.

-Paul W.