The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Four Massican Friends Whites...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Four Massican Friends Whites...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:32 pm

We tried these Massicans last night at Pig+Fig:
1. Massican Idlewild Calif WW (12.5%; 40% TocaiFriulano/20% RibillaGialla/20% Malvasia/20% SauvBlanc; SamBilbro/Idlewild) P&B by MassicanWnry/Geyserville 2020: Med.yellow color; very fragrant floral/gardenias/spicy very Friuliano slight perfumed talc bit chalky beautiful nose; slightly tart bit rich/lush lightly floral/Tocai/spicy/carnations sommewhat subtle/elegant lightly perfumed talc bit mineral flavor; very long floral/Tokaji finish that follows flavor; a very correct expression of Friuli Friuliano but not quite as mineral/tart; quite a nice white. $35.00
2. Massican StarLane SantaBarbaraCnty WW (13%; 38% SauvBlanc/38% CheninBlanc/24% Chard; TylerThomas/StarLane) P&B by StarLane/SantaYnez 2022: Med.yellow color rather floral/carnations/ripe very SBCnty/spicy slight herbal/ripe/melony/SB somewhat floral very perfumed light herbal very attractive nose; bit soft lovely ripe/melony/SB very light herbal light pencilly/oak slight mineral flavor; very long ripe/melony/SB finish that mirrors flavor; rather SBCnty spicy in character; an attractive ripe/melony/SB that resembles that of Sudstiermark than Friuli. $35.00
3. Massican WalterScott WillametteVlly WW (12.5%; 77% PinotBianco/22% PinotGrigio/1% GamayBlanc; Ken Pahlow/WalterScott; 1500 btls) P&B by WalterScottWines/McMinnville/OR) 2022: Light yellow color; strong appley/PB slight melony/honeydew slight earthy/dusty bit Alsatian slight chalky fairly fragrant nose; quite rich/lush rather apple/pear/PB slight earthy/stony fairly restrained/low-key flavor; long bit subtle/quiet apple/pear/PB finish that mirrors flavor; rather aromatic for PB; a lovely white that resembles Burgenland PB than anything. $35.00
4. Massican Maryam+Company Calif WW (11.5%; 80% Muscat/20% SauvBlanc; Maryam Ahmed) P&M by MassicanWnry/Napa 2022: Med.yellow color; quite floral/muscatty bit chalky/mineral/earthy bit herbal some complex nose; lightly tart strong floral/muscatty/malvasia-like bit citric slight earthy bit complex flavor; not the tutti-fruity in-your-face Muscat character but more of a mineral/complex character like Malvasia d'Istriani; my easy favorite of these four whites; a beautiful expression of Malvasia. $35.00
1. This is a new project by Dan Petroski of Massican. He has solicited four of his winemaking friends to make these wines in a style that he would make at Massican. All in all, I thought they did an exceptional job of making these wines in a restrained style that Dan would make at Massican, yet by & large preserved the regional character of where the grapes were sourced. I was particularly impressed by the Maryam Ahmed Muscat because it strongly resembled a Friuli Malvasia d'Istriana more that a floozy Muscat.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Four Massican Friends Whites...(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:12 pm

I've only had the Walter Scott so far, but really enjoyed that one. Looking forward to spring to really dive into the rest, as they are not exactly hearty food friendly.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Four Massican Friends Whites...(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:58 am

Tried another of the wines last night:

• 2022 Massican & Maryam + Company California White Wine - USA, California (2/20/2024)
    Last minute replacement for a Pinot Gris from a different producer that I was not enjoying, this stepped up and added sunshine and brightness to a cold winter day. Not surprisingly for a wine made with 80% Muscat, there was a lot of honeysuckle and orange on the nose, backed up with a slight tinge of freshly mown grass contributed by the 20% Sauvignon Blanc. Light to medium bodied on the palate, and also bone dry (yay!) the flavors were all in the citrus and melon range, with bright acidity that kept everything very fresh. Not something I would normally drink during February in New England, but it lifted both my mood and the food.
Decisions are made by those who show up