The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bdx, Beaujolais, CdR for SuperBowl/VDay parties

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Bdx, Beaujolais, CdR for SuperBowl/VDay parties

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:03 am

Been trying to eat light and not have wine for a week or so to get rid of some holiday pounds. We went to an annual Valentine Party Saturday, incredible we could comfortably be outdoors in Feb, I tried a few wines (spitting)

2020 Terres Blondes Gamay
Cranberry, cherry, with a distinct “potted plant”/geranium note I often get from Loire Gamay. Clean, bright acids, and if one is less sensitive to that note might be a winner. B-/C+

2019 Guigal Cotes du Rhone
I know this is pretty mass market, but it’s a competent CdR that is likely a decent value. Ripe black cherry, pepper, and a little floral note. B

2015 Billards St Amour
(what else to bring to a Valentines party- where I didn’t want to bring Calon-Segur?). Riper vintage, but still a backbone of acid. Smoke, gamebird, and big black cherry. Fun, and I wished I wasn’t spitting. B++

For SuperBowl we went over to some friends for a nice gathering. Again, I was (mostly) spitting, and this time I regretted it for all the wines. Betsy was rooting for Niners (NoCal girl), and I was rooting for Chiefs (anything that pisses off Roseanne Barr, Vivek Ramaswamy, and Jesse Watters must be right). Started with hummus and guacamole, then at half enjoyed a package from Zahav- lamb shoulder with rice, beets with tahini, fennel, carrots, green beans, eggplant, and spicy zhug and harissa (with wonderful pitas). I probably forgot something. Best Goldbelly thing I’ve ever had.

1975 Domaine de Chevalier (blind)

I was off by decades on the DDC. My immediate reaction was RB, but then a distinct CabS note should have gotten me to Graves (when it’s a little bit Right and a little bit Left). But I was shocked that it was almost 50 years old- lots of tannin, but plenty of fruit as well. The complexity really grew in decanter as the tannins softened. A-

2002 Leoville Barton
This time I offered blind. Mark got Medoc, but guessed 2005 Pauillac. Much closer than I was to DDC! Cassis, a little leather, nice and correct but a bit foursquare. B

1990 Haut Brion (from 375)
Rich, savory, and gorgeous. Amazing complexity with spice, smoke, tobacco and gravel. I always worry about aging curve from 375s, but this was as young as a lovely 750 we had in a vertical a few years ago. A/A-

Very fun night.
Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Bdx, Beaujolais, CdR for SuperBowl/VDay parties

by Jenise » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:10 pm

Everything sounds delightful. Surprised, like you, that the 375 HB showed so well.

Oh, and I've lived on the west coast virtually my entire life, but that didn't stop me from rooting for KC.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Bdx, Beaujolais, CdR for SuperBowl/VDay parties

by Dale Williams » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:46 pm

Besides thermal mass, I think one reason 375s are observed to age faster is they are often not treated as well. Mark tends to source from cool UK cellars, which can make a difference. Unsure about the HB, but the DDC definitely was (damp cellar had left label in tatters)