The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Opening that bottle - 2006 Thackrey Orion

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Opening that bottle - 2006 Thackrey Orion

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:04 pm

• 2006 Sean Thackrey Orion Rossi Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (2/13/2024)
    Bittersweet experience, as Sean Thackrey left us in 2022, and this bottle came from my dad’s cellar, and he departed in 2023.

That said, this was, much like Sean, a mystery, wrapped in an enigma, that took two hours to show itself, then started revealing the mysteries of the universe as told through the lens of an inscrutable blend of myriad grapes. Certainly powerful, the wine also had immense complexity, supported by California sunshine that sustained dark fruit with more than enough depth to carry through for another 18 years. Hiding behind that black fruit curtain was a roaring wood fire, and a dripping haunch of wild game, basted with bacon drippings, and infused with wild herbs and hillside brush. All I needed was a cabin in the woods, and a good book. Magic.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Opening that bottle - 2006 Thackrey Orion

by Jenise » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:09 pm

I thought the Orion was primarily syrah. Or at least, I'm certain that the one I had which was a little older than yours, somewhere around 2000, was syrah. So not the same as yours, but the overall experience was something of a match.

I picked up a few more Thackrey wines when inventory got dumped on WineBid about the time of his death. Unfortunately I missed the first wave so didn't get prime picks, but I did pick up a magnum of pinot noir and a few other things at better than reasonable prices.

Did Dick have other Thackreys?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Opening that bottle - 2006 Thackrey Orion

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:26 pm

He had three or four bottles total. From the records I have been able to piece together he bought a few and never drank any of them. Kind of the story of the cellar.
Decisions are made by those who show up