The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: ShenandoahVnyds Black Mscat '80....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: ShenandoahVnyds Black Mscat '80....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:40 pm

Took this dessert wine to the Pig+Fig Valentine Dinner last night:
1. ShenandoahVnyds Black Muscat Amador Cnty (18.5%) Plymouth 1980: Light color w/ some browning and a ton of sediment; fairly strong muscatty/floral/violets slight portish/alcoholic very aromatic complex lovely nose; bit soft fairly lush slightly sweet very strong muscatty/floral rather complex slight oxidative/oldRed flavor w/ little tannins; very long/lingering very strong muscatty finish that mirrors flavor; a quite lovely very muscatty slightly sweet dessert wine that is still in great shape; lost a lot of its original intensity. $5.89
1. Lee Sobon was always a big fan of dessert wines and made a lot of them over the yrs. In its youth, this wine was very sweet & very intensely muscatty. It's lost a lot of the muscatty intensity but still in very good shape w/ no signs of its demise. A lovely complex semi-dessert wine.
I recall that the grapes for this wine came from very old Black Muscat in the Deaver Vnyd. It was not fortified, but simply a very late hrvst.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: ShenandoahVnyds Black Mscat '80....(short/boring)

by Jenise » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:13 pm

Sobon and Shenandoah...those names don't come up often. Hasn't the winery sold since then? At one time I quite liked their zins but now these brands show up in supermarkets and are thin and dilute.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Nope...

by TomHill » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:14 pm

Jenise wrote:Sobon and Shenandoah...those names don't come up often. Hasn't the winery sold since then? At one time I quite liked their zins but now these brands show up in supermarkets and are thin and dilute.

Nope....not been sold. Still owned by the Sobons. Lee has pretty much stepped back & he & Shirley now live in Rancho Cordova just East of Sacramento. The wnry is mostly run by Paul Sobon and the emphasis seems to be more on commodity/value wines than anything. Not had any of their recent wines in a number of yrs. But I don't think they're up to the level of when Lee was running the place.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: ShenandoahVnyds Black Mscat '80....(short/boring)

by Jenise » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:00 pm

They are definitely not at the level they used to be. Sad in a way, because if that's the only Amador wine on a supermarket shelf (that's the case up here) then it's not going to attract the wine tourism the area could have. Wines are better than most people outside the area realize, and it's such a pretty place to drive around in.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov