The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Rieslings, Bubbles. Burg, Umbria, Rhone

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Rieslings, Bubbles. Burg, Umbria, Rhone

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:46 pm

Soba bowls with grilled chicken and Shanghai tips with shiitakes and maitakes
2011 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Kabinett (#3)
Nervy for a 2011, racy acids with bright peach and lime fruit. Excellent length, this can age a long time but pretty delicious now.A-

1990 Domaine de Vallouit Les Sables Syrah (Collines Rhodaniennes )
Never heard of producer, this was maybe better than very low expectations. Some black cherry and a little hint of prune, touch of barnyard,roasted meat. Holds up for a bit then gets ashtray-ey. C+

2012 Domaine Carneros (Taittinger) Brut LD
This was actually quite nice, chalky, bready, with lemony fruit. Nice bead, good finish. B+

Duck breast, green beans, sweet potato, spinach
1999 Morot”Marconnets” Beaune 1er
Midbodied, black cherry and raspberry, very earthy, modest length.B/B+

Skate in a pepper/caper brown butter, artichoke cuscinetti ( ravioli), salad
2017 Cervaro della Sala (Antinori)
Plenty of oak, but good acids, crisp orchard fruits with lemon and a gingery spice note. B+

Some friends over for a Lunar New Year feast. I made longevity noodles and a whole steamed bass, Betsy made bok choy, and Nancy made shrimp dumplings. We also picked up spring rolls, fried pot stickers, duck, and assorted dumplings from a local Chinese grocery (they have dim sum ish stuff on weekends)
NV Gosset Grand Rose
Apple, cherry, orange peel, and rye bread. Complex and full. B++

2014 Pepiere Briords Muscadet

One of my favorite vintages of one of my favorite bottlings. Rich, bracing acids, oystershell and citrus. Long, saline, and complex. A-

2011 Leitz Rudesheimer Berg Roseneck Spatlese
Exotic, with lush mango and papaya, honey accents, tropical flowers, sweet but with good acids. A bit much for me but well done. B

1986 Beychevelle
Chosen for dragon boat label (year of the Dragon). Quite refined tannins for a 1986, cassis and black plum with leathery cigarbox notes and a little minty spice.Sorry my only bottle. A-/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Rieslings, Bubbles. Burg, Umbria, Rhone

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:50 pm

Good week!
Decisions are made by those who show up