The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: After-sushi consolation party

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: After-sushi consolation party

by Jenise » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:45 am

Last night we went to a new sushi restaurant that opened close by about four weeks ago. Everything about it was terrible. We haven't been drinking much at all of late but we decided to have a starter glass of Sauvignon Blanc. We knew it would be plonk but in fact it smelled and tasted of shoe polish, and Bob's glass was dirty so we sent it all away and stuck with water.

How were we so sure it would be plonk? Well, the alcohol page of the menu was a long list of 'cocktails' wherein item #1 was "Jack and coke" followed by about 29 other crap drinks. Underneath that was a category called Wines. It wasn't a list, just a sentence containing grape names that went: "Cab, Merlot, Zinfandel, Burgundy, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc." Yes it actually said Burgundy. WTF? Prices were shown as $15/glass and $40-60 for bottles, and unspecified as to which applied to which. These would appear to be cheap plonk that were stored poorly since this guy closed his last restaurant down south and opened this one.

We were no happier with the food. So we came home and consoled ourselves with:

2014 Ceritas Pinot Noir Costalina Sonoma Coast
Picked up in a mixed case from a charity auction at which the case had been contributed by a good friend so I trusted the contents.
This wine is at the end of its life. Nose is good but not classic pinot. Initial flavors of cherry and some perfumey dark berry sag into strawberry territory by the second glass with white pepper and major umami. And I mean MSG, not mushroom umami. In fact, when we took a sip of wine and then a sip of water, the water tasted bright and sweet because of it. Which was very pleasant but since when does mere wine do that to water the way adding MSG to your food would? Crazy. Drink up! Since that didn't go so well, we opened:

2022 Mulderbosch Sauvignon Blanc Western Cape
Outstanding, as before. White grapefruit, lemon fruit and lemongrass with unreal minerality. Best buy on the planet in an under-$15 bottle of white wine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: After-sushi consolation party

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:08 pm

Hmm...there's a shit-ton of Ceritas in my dad's cellar, including 2015 and 2016 Costalina and 2014 vineyard designates. I need to remember to pull a cork or two when I next visit my mom.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:44 pm

This was my first Costalina, so no prior experience but supposedly this one's made for early drinking.

I still can't get over that MSG thing. I can't remember the last time I wondered if there was an additive in my wine--apart from Wagner products, that is.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:46 pm

We’ll see what happens when I open a 2015 and 2016. They are not that much younger.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:33 pm

Not a Costalina, but a 2012 Ceritas Heintz Vineyard is delicious tonight. When it was first released I hated it!