The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2009 Dom (Open That Bottle)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2009 Dom (Open That Bottle)

by Jenise » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:51 pm

In honor of Open That Bottle, and to show my appreciation for the friendships in the Dorks goup, I took my last 2009 Dom Perignon to Saturday night's wine tasting. It was by far the best of the six bottles I bought back in 2018, of which the previous one about a year ago was actually kind of dull, so I'm delighted to report that this one was absolutely enchanting and at peak for a properly aged champagne. Complex flavors, cashmere texture. And it causes me to reflect on the fact that I dismissed Dom for so long. Yeah, I had some good ones along the way--I recall a 20 yr old '74 and several of the exceptional 96's, but it has never been a name I sought out, no doubt due to some snobbery about the fact that it's probably the only fine champagne name people who don't drink champagne know about, and then there's the mass production involved. But damn, when it's good, it's REALLY REALLY GOOD.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2009 Dom (Open That Bottle)

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:03 pm

Laura and I have never really been fans, except for the Rosé, but there are times when Dom is as good as it’s supposed to be.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2009 Dom (Open That Bottle)

by Jenise » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:25 am

We had the rose a few months ago, the Lady Gaga edition no less. I'm thinking it was the 2003 but then I think really, was Lady Gaga even around in 2003? Not sure. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a flawed bottle that I suspect got cooked along the way. And fortunately, no, I'm not the one who paid for it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov