The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Happy Wine: Massican annia '17....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Happy Wine: Massican annia '17....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:36 pm

Seeking a wine to boost my feelings of happiness, I cracked last night:
1. Massican annia NapaVlly WW (12.5%; 55% RibollaGialla/39% TocaiFriuliano/6% Chard) Calistoga 2017: Med.gold color; really lovely Ribolla/white pepper some floral/carnations slight herbal/new mown Kansas hay rather chalky/perfumed slight pencilly quite aromatic bit complex nose; quite tart/tangy rather floral/carnations/RG/white pepper slight metallic rather chalky/mineral/perfumed talc slight herbal tangy/zesty/bright flavor; very long/lingering crisp/zesty finish that follows flavor; a bright/zesty/spicy expression that speaks more of Friuli RG than NapaVlly; no signs of skin-contact as is common in RG; quite a lovely RG that can go another 6-8 yrs probably & develop more depth & complexity; a wine sure to bring you happiness.
beating out such US garden spots as Espanola/NM and Tonganoxie/KS. The article pretty well captures the essence of WhiteRock, though fails to mention that there is more Carlisle & Bedrock wines, per capita, than any other town in this Great Nation. And it laments that WhiteRock has only one bar (assuming they are referring to Pig+Fig), but highlights they do have a a Cannabis operation in the village. But, anyway, the article is an interesting read. You are all welcome to move to WhiteRock so that, you too, can find happiness.
I've known DanPetroski/Massican since we first met at the first Ribolla Fest hosted by Steve Matthiasson featuring the Ribollas from the George Vare vnyd. He was originally the winemaker at Larkmead, a Cabernet house in Calistoge (can't imagine a more boring job) but recently left to focus on his Massican wines. Not sure where he now makes his wine. His focus is on the style of wines made in Friuli, for which he does a very good job. I very much like what Dan is doing. Especially as he's broadened his focus to include wines made by his friends in the Massican style. These are wines sure to bring an inner glow of happiness to your soul.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Happy Wine: Massican annia '17....(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:40 pm

Love the wines, Annia most of all.

Dan did a long (hour+) podcast interview with Hardy & Kate. It came out maybe 10 days ago. Well worth a listen.
Decisions are made by those who show up