The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: old Italians, Chianti BTG, rose, Donnhoff GG

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: old Italians, Chianti BTG, rose, Donnhoff GG

by Dale Williams » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:44 pm

It should be no surprise that a bottle of 1992 Prunotto Dolcetto d’Alba was stone cold dead. D

We went to a local restaurant that had reopened in a new location after a long hiatus. Artichoke hearts, salad, pappardelle with squash, pork milanese (huge butterflied bone in chop), and veal chop, all pretty good. I had a glass of the 2020 Carpineto Chianti Classico. Red and black cherries, citrus zest, just a hint of saddle leather coming in. Straightforward and easy. B

Betsy was in Hartford for a Bocelli concert, I used the slow cooker to make a goat curry.
1995 Leone de Castris “Donna Lisa” Salice Salentino Riserva
Low expectations, but surprisingly this still had lots of life. I was also surprised at the red cherry flavor profile, my limited experience with Negroamaro is more rustic dark fruits. Not much in the way of complexity or tertiary notes. Not very long, but hey this is almost 30 year old Salice! B-

But the curry was a little spicy for the red, so went (kinda) rose. A much better match with the 2022 Tiberio Cerasuolo d'Abruzzo. Sweet cherry and raspberry, lots of green herb, good finish. B/B+

Saturday was stirfry chicken and napa, wine the 2013 Donnhoff Hermannshohle Riesling GG. I admit on first trying I was slightly taken aback- seems to have lots of sweet fruit for a trocken. But as I explored further I was captivated. Sweet nectarines, grapefruit, and blood orange fruit, with mint and floral notes, but also a finish that is superlong and minerally. Full, vibrant, complex. A-

Then a few days off wine with a head cold.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: old Italians, Chianti BTG, rose, Donnhoff GG

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:44 pm

The Donnhoff GGs all seem to have RS in the upper range of Trocken. I have to admit I like it, but then Feinherb is my semi-sweet spot these days.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN: old Italians, Chianti BTG, rose, Donnhoff GG

by Bill Spohn » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:42 pm

We don't see much Cerasuolo here but the ones I have had were pleasant (made from Montepulciano) and a sort of darkish rosé that reminds me of another oddball, Argentine Bonarda,made from Corbeau Noir (grown also in the French Alps).. If you have any there I'd love to see a comparison between the two!