The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ridge Syrah LyttonEstate '19....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Ridge Syrah LyttonEstate '19....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:19 pm

We tried this Syrah from my recent Ridge ATP shipment:
1. Ridge Syrah LyttonEstate/DryCreekVlly/SonomaCnty (14.1%; 92% Syrah/8% Viognier; 15 brls; bttld Aug 2021; Vines plntd at LyttonWest 30 yrs ago; Drk: 7/21-7/36: JO) 2019: Very dark/near black color; lovely intense blackberry/boysenberry/ripe Syrah/spicy/bit peppery strong vinalla/Ridge oak some roasted/pungent/Rhonish fairly complex perfumed/roasted nose that shows that classic Lytton spiciness; fairly tart intense Syrah/blackberry/blueberry/rather peppery/black pepper strong Ridge oak/vanilla some roasted/smoked meats rather structured fairly rich flavor w/ ample chewey tannins; very long/lingering somewhat tannic finish that mirrors flavor; one of the best Ridge Syrahs yet; quite structured/extracted w/ lots of LS spiciness; a terrific Syrah that speaks w/ a Ridge accent; should age very well; very fair price at $52.00/$44.20 (ATP)
These is from the original Syrah planting at Lytton West. I had the first tasting outside of Ridge w/ the '96 vintage. Knowing my interest/passion in Syrah; Donn Reisen brought an unreleased btl to the SantaFe W&CFiesta about 1998 for me to try at our annual DaveJones Memorial Potluck. He could tell from the look on my face that I was not impressed. Putting his hand on my shoulder, he advised me to give it some time in the btl. He, of course, was right. It evolved into a very good Ridge Red....but not a really good aged Calif Syrah.
But I was quite impressed by this '19 LS Syrah & think it has the extract & structure to age into a very good mature Calif Syrah...but still speaking w/ a quite Ridge accent. I'm going back for more. It'll outlive me.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Ridge Syrah LyttonEstate '19....(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:00 pm

I tried some Ridge Rhônes in the mid-oughts, and was not impressed never went back to them.
Decisions are made by those who show up