The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: white Burgs, Issan, Chianti, big Savoie

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: white Burgs, Issan, Chianti, big Savoie

by Dale Williams » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:13 pm

Quickie bouillabaisse, with the 2021 Bzikot “ la Rousselle” Puligny Montrachet (this is a lieu-dit, not a 1er). Good acids, subtle oak, white pear fruit with some stony notes. B+

Koreean pork, fried rice, Shanghai tips, and the 1995 Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva. Surprisingly youthful, bright red cherry with a little saddle leather, rounder style but still young Chianti character. This was part of a recent mixed lot, get the feeling someone’s cellar was very cold. B/B+

Oysters, grey sole, red potatoes, green beans, salad
2021 Domaine Gilles Berlioz “Les Christine” Vin de Savoie Chignin-Bergeron
Round, honied, big, vanilla and sweet fruit, a little hot. Reminds me a bit of the old vine Beaucastel Roussane, but I never liked that wine, and this is a bad match for my food. B-/C+

2019 Jean-Claude Bachelet Macherelles Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
Good acids, but needs time for oak to integrate.B/B- for now

Flannery ribeye, potatoes, garlicky spinach, salad with blue cheese dressing
2008 d’Issan
Really nice showing.Very classic with Margaux berries, coffee, and incipient cigarbox. Suave tannins, balanced fruit, oak in the background. Midbodied and long, with cassis and cocoa on finish. No hurry but drinking surprisingly well. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

Re: WTN: white Burgs, Issan, Chianti, big Savoie

by Patrick Martin » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:52 pm

The d’Issan sounds lovely. I never bought enough of their wines until recently, loading up on the 2019 and 2020 (priced to move). Hopefully these start drinking well by age 15 too.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: white Burgs, Issan, Chianti, big Savoie

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:56 pm

A lot of the 2019s were crazy bargains on futures. Of course they came out exactly as the world shut down.
Decisions are made by those who show up