The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2021 Yvonne, 2015 Guillemot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: 2021 Yvonne, 2015 Guillemot

by Rahsaan » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:27 pm

It was a good wine weekend.

2021 Château Yvonne Saumur Blanc
This was great. It’s been years since I drank the Yvonne wines. In the 00s, I remember them being ripe pumped up and oaky. Since then, the ownership has changed, so it might as well be a different winery. This was modern and stylish, with ripe succulent fruit and suave layers of texture. But also a decent amount of refined crisp structure for its 13.5%, and I could detect the chenin cepage.

This limestone inflected wine was exactly what I wanted to drink, a great middle-ground between Touraine and Anjou, and a lovely match with monkfish, roasted potatoes and sautéed maitake and spinach.

Anyone have insight on aging this cuvee? Seems plausible, although I suppose Le Gory is the stacked bottling.

2015 Pierre Guillemot Savigny-lès-Beaune Aux Serpentières
Gorgeous. Juicy pinot berry fruit with silky mineral precision in the structure. This makes me wonder if I am a lower-rent Côte de Beaune palate at heart, because it hits deep in the brain, with more delicacy than those deeply-fruited obvious Côte de Nuits wines.

Obviously I exaggerate, but the point is that this gives me the pleasure I want in Burgundy. Strawberry jewels, some 2015 ripeness, some delicacy and depth to the texture. I suppose it will evolve further, but I had so much fun right now, I won’t hesitate to open the rest of my bottles. A lovely match with golden beet, maitake, kale and tomato pizza, plus roasted oyster mushrooms and red cabbage salad on the side. This has layers.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 2021 Yvonne, 2015 Guillemot

by Dale Williams » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:20 pm

Nice notes. I've really enjoyed the Yvonne in a couple of vintages, but never really aged. I see offering from Guillemot from Envoyer, but have never tried. Sounds great
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2021 Yvonne, 2015 Guillemot

by Rahsaan » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:36 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I see offering from Guillemot from Envoyer, but have never tried. Sounds great

Probably good grey market pricing there.

Otherwise, Guillemot is a Kermit Lynch wine, and already reasonably priced from them.