The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Perkins-Harter

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: Perkins-Harter

by Patchen Markell » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:59 pm

Perkins-Harter 2022 Eola-Amity Hills Chardonnay, Bracken Vineyard.

The last five-plus years have been a weird hiatus from wine for me: not in the sense that I haven't been drinking it, but with our cellar in what seemed like indefinite detention in a Chicago warehouse, and pandemic purchases piling up, uninventoried, in a basement room, I more or less stopped applying my typical obsessive-compulsive tendencies to things like writing tasting notes, paying attention to vintages, learning about new producers, etc. Now that's all coming back with a vengeance, which also means that I'm reading a lot and stumbling across new-to-me producers I want to try. This was one. Very small production Chardonnay from Eola-Amity Hills, sounded like my kind of thing. And wow; this is really pretty stunning. Pear and apple fruit, white flowers, and the lightest possible honey on the nose; on the palate, this is fabulous (and I don't use that word lightly): concentrated flavor but light on its feet; pleasing minerality and surprisingly persistent, tongue-coating citrus oil; a bit of lime salt on the finish. No new wood. This hits a real sweet spot of seemingly effortless energy, and the play of the delicacy of the wine and the intensity of the flavor just gets me. During these treading-water years, the three US Chardonnays I've consumed most have probably been (various wines from) Enfield, Failla, and Ramey; this is as good as the best of those, and it's its own thing, stylistically, which I immediately really loved. I've ordered more, and this might be my point of entry into a wider exploration of Oregon Chardonnay, too. Should've made the cellar bigger, but the foundation walls were where they were...
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Perkins-Harter

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:08 pm

Wow. That’s some high praise. As much as I am trying to limit purchases I may have to track some down.

I drink a lot of Enfield and Ramey, and have enjoyed Failla when I have had the chance.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:14 pm

It really was a "wow" on first impression, and the impression held up across the rest of the bottle. I got a couple of bottles of this and their Pinot (haven't tried yet) from Flatiron as part of a mixed case.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:07 pm

I haven't had Enfield's chardonnay but your comparing this to the other two of which I'm a fan says a lot. Noted!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov