The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Too many choices

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: Too many choices

by Patchen Markell » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:08 pm

A 22-foot truck from Chicago showed up at the crack of dawn this morning with three overstacked pallets of wine, which the driver and I managed to get into my basement without, as far as I can tell, breaking anything or hurting ourselves, which was the first win of the day. And now, for the first time in more than 20 years, all our wine is in one place, and we've officially finished what turned out to be the nearly 6-year process of moving out of the Windy City. I managed to rack about a third of the cellar over the course of the day (slowed, ironically, by needing to be alert for the FedEx truck), and it was more overwhelming than I expected: I "know" what's in these boxes because I have an inventory, but seeing the labels was a different matter. It was like revisiting the last 25 years of (an admittedly narrow slice of) our life.

Which made it nearly impossible to decide what to drink with dinner. But then I pulled a bottle that was obviously the right answer: a Merry Edwards 2009 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir, Olivet Lane Vineyard. It wasn't the right answer because it was our "best" wine (whatever), or our favorite wine, or our most treasured wine, or anything like that. But way back when, I signed up for the Merry Edwards mailing list, having read a review somewhere, and bought a six-pack sampler of her RRV Pinots, including, I think, the 1998 and 1999 vintages; and it was around this time that we realized that we couldn't really store wine in our small pre-war Chicago apartment, whose one big closet had steam pipes in the walls; and so, newly out of grad school and flush with the lavish salary of an assistant professor, I ordered an 80-bottle Eurocave, which we nicknamed the "Yuppie Scum Machine" out of mild embarrassment at our bourgeois habits, and the cellar was born. (We're now using the YSM to keep whites at serving temp, because why not double down?) I think we bought this 2009 to mark the cellar's 10th anniversary.

Anyhow, the wine: This turned out to be a very nice bottle. As I recall, though it's been a while, the Olivet Lane bottling was always a little bigger and had more overt wood than the regular RRV; in this case, 15 years after the vintage, the wine is deep-crimson-to-garnet, still looks fresh, and shows black cherry, sarsaparilla, cocoa, earth, and herbs on the nose. It's elegant in the mouth, with enough remaining fruit to taste fresh too, and the wood has integrated pretty well, leaving a gentle suggestion of spice around the edges. With time, the earth and spice come far enough forward in the mix, and the fruit recedes enough, to persuade me that this isn't likely to improve, and might always have been a bit out of balance -- but this was, in any case, a nice moment at which to catch it, and a nice way to ease our way back into drinking things older than kindergartners.
Last edited by Patchen Markell on Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Too many choices

by David M. Bueker » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:06 pm

That’s a really nice story. Glad the wine showed well.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:07 am

Congrats on finishing your move to NY!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:35 am

Great story and congratulations. No matter how good the wine is, memories make better.
I don't really know Merry Edwards, but probably the best RRV PNs I've ever had were early 90s Williams-Selyem Olivet Lanes.
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:15 pm

Thanks, all! Dale -- I never had a chance to try W-S of that era, unfortunately. I did drink a bit of Rochioli back in the day, but that was when Rochioli was, if I recall correctly, at least comparably priced to and harder to find than Chevillon, so I didn't try too hard, and didn't really "learn" it. My favorite RRV producer was probably Porter Creek, which I think is still chugging along; I should check in on them. Nice folks, small-scale operation, lots of personality to the wine, though I haven't bought any since, I'm astonished to see, the 2013 vintage.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:30 pm

I'm sure it feels like Christmas. Congrats on the reunion.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov