The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: St. %*#$**#@%!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: St. %*#$**#@%!

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:15 pm

• 2005 Nik Weis / St. Urbans-Hof Leiwener Laurentiuslay Riesling Spätlese feinherb - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (3/14/2024)
    Troubling showing that continues a trend for 2005s. This was purchased on release and carefully cellared, but the wine was notably advanced, and basically flat/lifeless. I've had similar issues with 2005s from several other Mosel Riesling producers, and am left dreading most (not all) of my 2005s.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: St. %*#$**#@%!

by Rahsaan » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:33 am

David M. Bueker wrote:
  • 2005 Nik Weis / St. Urbans-Hof Leiwener Laurentiuslay Riesling Spätlese feinherb - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (3/14/2024)
    Troubling showing that continues a trend for 2005s. This was purchased on release and carefully cellared, but the wine was notably advanced, and basically flat/lifeless. I've had similar issues with 2005s from several other Mosel Riesling producers, and am left dreading most (not all) of my 2005s.

Oh wow. I guess it was ripe, although not the botrytis bomb of 2006.

I had a bunch of Vollenweider 05 wines that were always a bit ripe and golden for my liking, I wondered if age would give them more definition. I have one Auslese left, but you just lowered my expectations even further!
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

by Patrick Martin » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:11 pm

Ditto. Never had an 05 German Riesling I’ve found anything but ponderous (well, the Selbach Oster Kabinett Halbtrocken was pretty delicious, but does that count?). Terry Theise’s call on the 05 vintage was an epic fail.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:28 pm

Terry wasn’t the only one who hyped 2005. He also happens to be the guy who tipped my off to the issues.

p.s. had had some less than positive things to say about 2007 as well.
Decisions are made by those who show up