The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1999 Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste. Hune

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 1999 Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste. Hune

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:07 pm

• 1999 Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste. Hune - France, Alsace (3/16/2024)
    Back in January 2024 I opened the bottle of 1999 Clos Ste. Hune that I had bought on release and cellared with care for 20+ years. It was completely oxidized. Yes 20 years is a long time, but Clos Ste. Hune is capable of extremely long aging. Anne Trimbach reached out to me and offered to replace the bottle. We had a pleasant back and forth regarding the potential causes of poor showings of late-1990s Trimbach wines, and we agreed that lack of care by the importer or distributor could have been a contributing factor. My few bottles of 1998 Trimbach, purchased in France, have to date been perfect.

In mid-February the replacement arrived, triple boxed and swaddled in bubble wrap. I put it in the cellar for a few weeks of rest, until an obvious opportunity to open it arrived with a dinner alongside long and new friends at southern New Jersey restaurant Two Fish. The wine did not disappoint.

Not surprisingly for a middling vintage, this Hune is mature, but the bottles showed zero traces of oxidation, and floated alongside the excellent food, lifting the heavier courses, and singing harmony to the lighter ones. Seashell, lemon zest, and a compelling smoky note, more harmonious than could be termed petrol, infused the aromatics, and echoed on the palate, lingering longer than I had the patience to calculate. The next sip called, and there were also other wines.

The cause of the premature oxidation in the prior bottle is hard to know, but Anne’s effort to show the true quality of 1999 Clos Ste. Hune certainly paid off.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 1999 Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste. Hune

by Rahsaan » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:34 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Anne Trimbach reached out to me and offered to replace the bottle.

Does that mean she read your note on a wine board? Or did someone bring it to her attention? Either way, very good customer service!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:26 am

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Anne Trimbach reached out to me and offered to replace the bottle.

Does that mean she read your note on a wine board? Or did someone bring it to her attention? Either way, very good customer service!

I posted about it on Instagram. She saw it there.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:05 pm

Great note, and great customer care. I have to say my one bottle of 99 CSH was premoxed (this would have been maybe 2011) and it was a gift from someone who got in France.