The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bdx, + Canary Islands, Bojo Blanc, Loire, Champagne

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Bdx, + Canary Islands, Bojo Blanc, Loire, Champagne

by Dale Williams » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:38 pm

Swordfish, Brussels sprouts, rice
2022 Envinate Taganan Blanco (Tenerife)
Full and balanced, citrus and saline with long herby finish. Different and fun. B+

On a rainy/floody Saturday, a couple of intrepid friends braved the road to come to dinner. I have some charcuterie and cheese out, as well as some miso leeks, and we started with the NV
NV Agrapart Terroirs (May 2017, Dg 2020)
Seems to be Chardonnay based, bright white fruits ( pears laced with apple), fine mousse, but maybe not longest finish. B/B+

Some nice Maine oysters
1989 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc
A wine I’ve always liked, but thought this bottle stunning.Beeswax, coconut, grapefruit. Good acids, full body, tangy mineral finish. A-/A

2014 Pepiere Briords
Stony, saline, succulent, and seakissed. In a nice place, and gets better through night (and next day). A-/B+

Main was leg of lamb, potatoes, & buttered green beans
1990 Pichon Lalande
Controversial wine. There’s some definite bell pepper and a little pine needle, but also solid cassis fruit accented with truffle. I like more than others. B+

1986 La Lagune
Smooth tannins for ‘86, black fruits, tobacco, and a little Earl Grey note. Nice match with the lamb. B+

1981 Trotanoy
This was a Winebid bottle with a spongy cork, but the wine survived well. Black plum and red cherry, a little graphite that might make you think Medoc, a bit of cigarsmoke. Smooth tannins for ‘86, black fruits, tobacco, and a little Earl Grey note. Nice match with the lamb. A-/B+.

1979 Trotanoy

Elegant, a little lighter framed but brighter than the ‘81. Cigarbox over red fruits, B+

Fun night with fun disagreements!

Scallops, hakurei turnip greens, green beans provencal
2022 JP Brun Beaujolais Blanc
Medium acids, apple blossoms over dry peach fruit, clean and easy. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.