The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three New Turley PetiteSirahs....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Three New Turley PetiteSirahs....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm

We tried last night at Laura's Pig+Fig three new Turley PetiteSirahs:
1. Turley RW CasaNuestra/NapaVlly (15.8%; Petite Syrah/Zinfandel/Alicante/Carignane/Napa Gamay/Négrette/Mourvèdre/Refosco/Chenin Blanc; OldVine) StHelena 2022: Very dark/near black color; very strong blackberry/very ripe/boysenberry strong PS/peppery strong toasty/oak rather complex very perfumed nose; lightly tart fairly intense blackberry/boysenberry/spicy/peppery some toasty/oak rather complex flavor w/ ample chewey tannins; very long/lingering perfumed finish that follows the flavor; a pretty rugged red that speaks some of PS; lots of ripe/soft tannins; a great addition to the Turley portfolio. $42.00
2. Turley PetiteSirah PesentiVnyd/PasoRobles (14.9%) Templeton 2022: Very dark/black color; strong blackberry/ripe/PS/bit peppery slight PR jammy/ripe light toasty/oak quite ripe nose; bit soft ripe/lush strong boysenberry/blackberry/ripe/plummy/slight PR jammy light toasty/oak flavor w/ modest soft/ripe tannins; very long soft finish that follows flavor; a bit softer & simpler PS than the TurleyEstate but doesn't shout of PR jammy/overripe fruit. $44.00
3. Turley PetiteSirah TurleyEstate/NapaVlly (14.8%) StHelena 2022: Very dark/black color; very strong blackberry/boysenberry/PS/fairly peppery quite spicy more classic/PS/peppery/bit licorice more interesting bit more oafish more high-toned/fragrant more spicy nose; slightly soft very rich/lush intense blackberry/boysenberry/ripe PS/very spicy/bit licorice strong toasty/oak rather perfumed flavor w/ ample chewey tannins; very long finish that follows the flavor w/ ample chewey tannins; rather more complex & structured than the Pesenti; a pretty rugged PS that needs more age; as good as it gets for NapaVlly PS. $44.00
I've always liked the Turley PS's. They tend to show more perfume & fragrance & less of the oafish side of PS. The Hayne is, of course, their flagship that shows more structure & needs more age. Actually, I think I like this Turley Estate as much as the Hayne.
I like visiting the Pesenti tasting room. It has that old-timey feel still that I remember from yrs ago when it was the old Pesenti Wnry. And often Frank Pesenti was actually pouring the wine. Back in the '70's. He was an outgoing/folksy kind of guy you couldn't help but like. Alas, the wines was pretty rustic and not always the best. But, danged, I miss those Reidel Shot Glasses he used to serve in. Turley should provide token shot glasses at their tasting room for us who like to trip down memory lane.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Three New Turley PetiteSirahs....(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

Looking forward to tasting the Casa Nuestra. Mine just arrived yesterday, so I will be letting them sit for a few weeks.
Decisions are made by those who show up