The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines with asparagus and veal

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Wines with asparagus and veal

by Jenise » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:13 pm

So last night we had another couple over.

With parmesan-crusted brussels sprouts:

2022 Del Rio Grenache Rose
Del Rio is the winery that rescued me during a snowstorm on my final trip from Los Angeles to Washington state. I have never seen their wines at retail and not bought a bottle in gratitude. A friend who knew about that brought me this last weekend. Beautifully balanced and dry, with notes of spiced peaches and cranberries.

With a cold asparagus salad and tangy-creamy orange bell pepper and celery seed dressing:

2021 Rochioli Sauvignon Blanc
Funny, yesterday morning I planned to open a '17 Puligny Montrachet but when it came down to the pairing with asparagus I went back to the cellar and pulled this, also knowing that it's a fave of my dinner guests. Last of six bottles and very good, but showing more color and ripeness than the other five bottles had. As I stood there in the cellar purusing my options I had the funny (well, to me) thought that it's cuckoo that I was being so insistent about a sauvignon blanc pairing, remembering the tables at the farmers market in Beaune piled high with asparagus. They're probably not drinking Sancerre with it....

With 2" thick grilled veal chops covered in a shitake mushroom/cream/vermouth sauce:

2013 Domaine Armelle et Bernard Rion Clos Vougeot Vieilles Vignes Clos Vougeot Grand Cru
Decanted for two hours. Medium taupe-y red color. Suitably aged, on the savory side, oak better integrated than it was as a youngster. Very good with the food but not otherwise GC quality IMO.

And then this little guy after dinner:

2018 Domaine Poulleau Père & Fils Pinot Noir Bourgogne
PnP'd. Dark color and closer to opaque than transparent. Big fruit and spice but very extracted texture. Strangely, didn't note that about prior bottle opened in '21.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov