The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Off to Australia next Wednesday -- anyone have any "must" visits?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Off to Australia next Wednesday -- anyone have any "must" visits?

by Randy Buckner » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:40 pm

We're off to Australia next Wednesday for two weeks. This is our first visit to the country and hopefully not our last.

While not an exclusive wine-touring trip, we will pass through the following wine regions, devoting a day to each:

Yarra Valley
Mornington Peninsula
Coonawarra
Barossa Valley
Clare Valley

Do any of you have "you ought to be horse-whipped if you miss ____" recommendations? I've studied about these areas, but there are always those hidden jewels we all love to find.

Thanks for any input.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Off to Australia next Wednesday -- anyone have any "must" visits?

by Bob Ross » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:45 pm

Randy, unless you have a guide/friend in the Barossa or Clare Valley, consider engaging John Baldwin to drive you. My wife Janet and I took two tours with John and had a delightful and educational time. John seems to know everyone in the wine areas around Adelaide; we spent three fascinating days together.

One of the highlights was John arranging for me to become a member of a wine tasting group that, by chance, had a major tasting of over 30 Sparkling Shirazes (aka Sparkling Burgundies), with at least 60 members present and very welcoming to this Yank.

John's cars are immaculate, his food is delicious, the wine and winemaking introductions are priceless.

Libby, his wife, makes the arrangements, and she is as delightful and John himself. One of the great advantages is that you will travel with John himself -- no one else drives his cars. We learned that other highly rated tours are sometimes led by the big gun, but often led by assistants of lesser caliber. John was the first in the Barossa and by many accounts still the best.

Very highly recommended.

http://www.barossadaimlertours.com.au
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:08 am

Very interesting web site, Bob. Thanks so much.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:04 am

Alice Springs is nice, but be sure to wear your sixgun.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:51 pm

Randy
Have a look at Ric Einsteins site http://www.torbwine.com for his tour diaries. Very detailed, very informative, occasionally amusing and opinionated. Should give you plenty of info, particularly on the cellar door experiences.

If you happen to pass Kings of Kangaroo Ground in the Yarra, drop in to see an amateur winemaker (Ken King) who's progressed to semi-commercial winemaking, but mostly to send your postcards home as the winery doubles as a rural post office! It's a good antidote to a succession of professional cellar doors. Also handy if you need to mail wine home.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:34 pm

Also handy if you need to mail wine home.

I think that is impossible for the US. I am going to take two empty shippers with me which will come back full. :)