The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: '00 Cantemerle and '05 Zilliken

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

TN: '00 Cantemerle and '05 Zilliken

by Dale Williams » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:33 pm

A couple wines on a Friday night:

2000 Cantemerle (from 375)
A bit tight at first, but opens nicely after about 90 minutes in decanter. Black plum and cherry fruit, a bit of cedar. As it is open a bit some tobacco/cigarbox notes come out. Weightwise this is a bit modest for a 2000, but I find it quite enjoyable. The oak notes are more cedar than vanilla, the acidity is enough to flatter the fruit, the finish nice and clean. My guess is 750s might benefit from being held a bit. B+

2005 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Kabinett Riesling
Packing a lot of sweetness, but with very good acidity, another Spatlese in Kabinett clothing. This one is so lively and lovely though that I don't mind a bit. Green apple fruit with a squirt of lime, I quite enjoy this. Good length. This is maybe a quarter-step behind the wonderful '04, but great value at $16. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: TN: '00 Cantemerle and '05 Zilliken

by Brian K Miller » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:14 am

Thanks, Dale. I was curious about this wine. I will hold my 750 ml for a couple of years longer.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach