The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Alkoomi Frankland River Riesling 1998

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Alkoomi Frankland River Riesling 1998

by David Lole » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:34 am

For those not familiar with the Lower Great Southern region of Western Australia and this particular producer, Alkoomi was established in 1971 by Merv and Judy Lange. With the first wines produced in 1976, Alkoomi is regarded as a very good to excellent producer of cooler climate varietals.

Secured a dozen bottles of this superb Riesling at release, wishing now I had bought (a whole lot) more.

Luminescent straw gold. Captivating integrated nose of petrol, honey on toast and freshly squeezed limes. The palate simply amazes with vibrant, crunchy lime and crisp green apple fruit with lemon pith and grapefruit thrown in for good measure. Holds a gorgeous line through the mouth, powerful but terrificly pure and racy with perfectly meshed mineral-tinged acidity providing necessary counterbalance and assured longevity. Needless to say, this spectacularly good white reverberates almost endlessly on the back palate with such aplomb for me to award the exceptional rating of ninety-five points. A truly great drinking experience. Drink now-2018. Congratulations to the team at Alkoomi for such a brilliant example of bottle-aged Riesling that still has plenty of petrol in the tank.

11.0% a/v. Cork closure
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Alkoomi Frankland River Riesling 1998

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:27 pm

David, this is the `98? Has it just been released ex-cellar?
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:34 pm

My wife and I had the 2005 last night with dinner and I was wondering if it could age. Thanks for the confirmation of that and your notes, David.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:41 pm

Mike B, where did you find it? I just called Lanigan and Co and they said St Albert? Grapes and grains by Save-on.
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:57 pm

Yeah, Elvira found it at the St. Albert Grapes & Grains, right by Save-On, as described.

We also picked up a few bottles of it at the Jasper Liquor Store and Wine Cellar, though that's not really convenient for you.

Alkoomi also has a great Sem-Sauv, but I haven't seen it in any stores. Jack, from Lanigan, had it at one of his tastings.

David, I've seen Cab Sauv and Shiraz-Viognier from Alkoomi. Have you tried them?
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:23 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:David, this is the `98? Has it just been released ex-cellar?

The wine was released in 1998, Bob.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:32 pm

Mike B. wrote:David, I've seen Cab Sauv and Shiraz-Viognier from Alkoomi. Have you tried them?

Unfortunately not in recent years, Mike. The Cabernet blend, named "Blackbutt" and the "Jarrah" Shiraz are the best of the reds. The Shiraz Viognier blend is a more recent addition to the range. I believe the first vintage of SV was produced in 2002. Both James Halliday and Jeremy Oliver consistently rate the Alkoomi wines in the high 80's and low 90's.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:55 pm

David
Good to see their wines getting good press. Above all the producers present at one of the decanter scrums a few years ago, Merve stood out as a true gentlemen. He was polite, ever so worried that the wine name 'Blackbutt' would be taken the wrong way and paid as much interest in us and our interests as we paid to his wines. Such impressions stick (likewise and opposite with Rosemount and to a degree Penfolds at the same tasting).

Was very impressed by his Semillon 'Wandoo'. Not cheap, but mightily impressive and a bold choice of leading white.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:57 pm

The Blackbutt is here in AB!! Will do a search rightaway.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:51 pm

Mike B...the `02 Semillon plus the new Shiraz/Viognier blend is at Cost Plus on Jasper and 114st. $23.00 for the latter, how about an Alkoomi Open Mike??

David, the `02 Semillon is over $34 Cdn!! Is it really one for the cellar?