The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

There`s a new kid on my (California) block!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

There`s a new kid on my (California) block!!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:16 am

Here is a new winery to me, Four Vines, and they appear to be collecting plenty of coverage. I have seen a couple of Zins, two Syrahs and have tasted a very good unoaked Chardonnay at a local tasting bar. Any further notes welcome, maybe from Brian??
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: There`s a new kid on my (California) block!!

by Brian K Miller » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:18 am

New one for me, Bob. I'll look around :)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:54 am

Bob, I bought the Four Vines zin for our neighborhood wine tasting on Friday because I needed a 6th wine and it was the only 04 Amador zin in our state's wine pipeline. I'd ordered all the rest from California, and the Four Vines was a last minute substitution when one of my two suppliers failed to send one of the promised wines. I relate all this to simply make the point that the FV wasn't chosen for any of the usual qualitative reasons. In background, I learned that the winery is actually headquartered in Paso Robles, and they make a variety of wines with contract grapes. IIRC, their zin comes, in part, from the famed Grandpere vineyard and includes 5% syrah. The alcohol's right up there, and the winemaker called it a "jam bomb".

I ended up having to miss the tasting due to jet lag (I'd come back from Europe the night before), but here's are my friend Jim's comments--the first column was the group vote (the group favors fruit forward wines) followed by Jim's vote, where he gave 2nd place to the Four Vines and 1st place to the wine I'd have also given first place to as well, I'm sure.

1 3 Joel Gott "Dillian"

2 4 J Runquist "Z"

3 6 Sobon Estate ReZerve

4 5 Scott Harvey Old Vines

5 2 Four Vines

6 1 Karly Warrior Fires

Jim added "It looks like I am about the reverse of the group. I think we were splitting hairs because they were all so good."
Last edited by Jenise on Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:16 am

We are big fans of the Naked Chardonnay, and have been enjoying it for about three years. We keep telling people that it is not that we don't like Chardonnay, it's that we don't like trees in the bottle.