The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Food & Wine Pairing Dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

WTN: Food & Wine Pairing Dinner

by Howie Hart » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:31 pm

Food & Wine Pairing Dinner

The local chapter of the AWS held their annual Food & Wine Pairing Dinner last week and it was my first opportunity to attend this event.

With hors’d oeuvres of Salmon Bacon Wrapped Scallops (didn’t try – allergic to scallops), Beef Satay with Coconut & Hoisin Sauce and Crab Rangoon (I liked the two latter, even though I’m not a big coconut fan) 2004 Trimbach CEW Riesling (Alsace) – Initial whiff of SO2 that blew away quickly, bone dry, long finish – excellent Riesling! Also served 2005 Torres “San Valentin” White (Spain) - made from the Parellada grape, a new one for me, and it may also be my first ever white from Spain. Slightly off-dry, but intense fruit and medium long finish. At the risk of sounding like a heathen to all you vineferaphiles, it tasted similar to my home made Cayuga.

The Salad Course of Smoked Turkey-Mixed Greens Salad with a Pecan-Buttered Vinaigrette was accompanied with 2005 Domaine Ott “Les Domaines” Cotes du Provence Rose (Provence) – Made from a blend of Grenache, Cinsault, and Syrah. Very nice, bone dry Rose with a medium length finish. Paired up nicely with the salad, even though I’m not a big turkey fan.

With the seafood course of Pan-Seared Grouper braised in a Fennel-Pistachio Meuniere they served 2004 Chanson Peres Fils Mersault (Burgundy). The fish was very nice and went well with the fennel and pistachio. The Mersault was my WOTN, and I bought a bottle to take home with me ($31). Both the menu and the wine description sheet they passed out at the beginning listed this as an ’03. When I tasted the acidity and vibrant fruit with the slight buttery and oak undertones, the ’03 designation had me confused. I didn’t discover it was really an ’04 until after the dinner when I went to purchase a bottle. (Now if I could make Chardonnay like this….)

After an intermezzo of Apple Sorbet serves in an apple cup garnished with mint, the Entrée was Cornbread stuffed Pork Tenderloin finished with Rosemary-Orange Pesto was served with 2001 Ceretto “Zonchera” Barolo (Piedmont). Perhaps I was served an end piece, but my pork was overdone, tough and stringy. The wine, however, was very nice – cherries, acidity, still young tannnins and a med-long finish. I enjoyed this wine.

Dessert was Poached Pear drizzled with a Vanilla and Chocolate Crème Anglaise, which was pretty good. However the dessert wine was 2003 Eloquence Late-Harvest Chardonnay (Napa Valley). While it had Chardonnay fruit on the nose, that was about all it had going for it. In the mouth there was nothing but sweet – no acidity, no anything. Others at the dinner liked this, but I would have much preferred a BA, TBA, Ice Wine or Sauternes. I've never heard of Chardonnay being used as a dessert wine and now I think I know why.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: WTN: Food & Wine Pairing Dinner

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:55 pm

Howie, nice report! Thanks.

Where was the dinner held?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:57 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Where was the dinner held?
At the Lancaster Country Club, about 20 miles East of Buffalo.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:24 pm

Thanks for the notes Howie.

Interesting about the Chardonnay dessert wine...I have never heard of that either. Doesn't sound like it did a good job though. Good to know for the future.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:15 pm

I've had a late harvest Chardonnay dessert wine from Steele that was interesting. Cloying if you have more than a small pour.