The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Champagne and Piedmont

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Posts

12439

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Location

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Champagne and Piedmont

by Dale Williams » Thu Sep 17, 2026 4:28 pm

Took Betsy to airport Mon, no wine Mon or Tues. Wednesday a nice group gathered on my patio for Champagne and Piedmont. Perfect early September weather. I had out smoked mussels and shrimp, speck, prosciutto, pate, and several cheeses

NV Gosset Excellence Brut
We think at least 15 years old based on label. Still a lot of dosage showing., nice creamy texture, pears and honey. B+/B

Gaston Chiquet Cuvée de Reserve(2004 disg , likely 95/96 blend)
Some really loved this, I preferred the Blanc de Blancs. Honied, apple cider, a bit brassy., B-

Gaston Chiquet Blanc de Blancs (2001 dg, likely 1997 base)
Bright and lively, lemon and pear, an almondy note only think showing its age, tangy. B+

About here the Popeyes fried chicken made its presence known (regiular and spicy)

2021 Vincent Bernard "Assemblage",
This is the old Ledru vineyards. Crisp, chalky, bright with good persistence., B+/A-

Cedric Bouchard (Roses de Jeanne) VV/R23 Blanc de Noirs
Pear and Rainier cherry, toasty, good length. A nice wine but don’t see as a buy at current pricing. B/B+

2024 La Mesma Indi Cortese
Floral, citric (grapfruit), quince, broad but with good acids B

2020 Roagna Langhe Nebbiolo
I wanted to like this, but it’s quite ripe and sweet.Speculation was they stopped fermentation to keep alcohol down. Koolaid Nebbiolo. C+/B-

2016 Ulysse Collin Les Pierrieres Blanc de Blancs
I liked this a lot, though some felt the barrel aged profile showed butter. I found big but balanced, with nice minerality. Very long. A-

2008 Cappellano Pie Rupestris Barolo
Replacement for a flawed 2006 B Mascarello. Very young, but drinking well. Crisp and crunchy, Perfumed & spicy with dark berries and incipient tar. A-/B+

2007 Brovia Ca Mia Barolo
Ripe but for me not over the top. Cherry and red plum, coffee and earth. Makes me hopeful for my mags of 07 Brovia Villero. B+

2006 G Masccarello Monprivato Barolo
Oh so young but tasty., Structured, with black cherry and floral rose notes, earth and dried leaves. B+/A-

1995 Rocche dei Manzoni Barolo
Corked, dammit.

1985 Rocche dei Manzoni Vigna Big Barolo Riserva
Red fruits, minty herbs, a little oak note., Good not great, B/B+

Porterhouse, caprese, honeynut squash, broccoli with colatura d’alici

1989 Marcarini “Brunate” Barolo
This is a bit shut down now. All tannic structure, with some black cherry and cocoa peeking out from underneath. B for drinking now but will be outstanding I think.

1989 Produttori dei Barbaresco Ovello Riserva
This one is outstanding now! My red WOTN. Elegant, balanced, long, with great texture. Red and black cherries, tar, and dried roses. In a great place. A-

1998 William Deutz Amour de Deutz Blanc de Blancs
Cruising along nicely, brioche and pears with some light almond notes. Elegant mousse, nice persistent finish. B+/A-

1964 Ferrando Carema (white label)
Controversial wine. I thought it was corked,though there wasn’t clear cardboard, rather a dank mustiness. Kim thought just “old Carema” but I’ve not gotten that before. In any case I didn’t find it very pleasant. C+ if sound

1961 Ratti“Abbazia Annunziata” Barolo
Not fun, Sercial meets Nebbiolo, maderized. C-

1961 Bersano Barbaresco Riserva Speciale
Hint of VA, sharp red fruit, lots of orange peel, tertiary notes of balsam and forest floor. A bit tired, but hanging on. B

Great weather, great people, some great wines (and some others), great night.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was the only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Childless Cat Dad

Posts

37053

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Location

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Champagne and Piedmont

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 17, 2026 9:23 pm

Well wow!

Impressed at the showing of the older Gaston-Chiquet wines. I had good luck aging the old green label NV that was our house Champagne for 5+ years.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Posts

11797

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Location

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN: Champagne and Piedmont

by Bill Spohn » Sun Sep 20, 2026 11:34 am

I have around 10 cases of the Produttori wines - when they came out in my province, they went to various stores in no particular order and were snapped up quickly, so we had to divide the labour and two or three of us would each take a list of stores to go and grab some of a particular wine. They are quite long lived (my oldest is 1990 as I finished off the earlier ones) but they were in great shape when I did that.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Posts

12439

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Location

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Champagne and Piedmont

by Dale Williams » Sun Sep 20, 2026 4:30 pm

I was impressed with the Chiquet Champagnes as well. I much preferred the BdB, but the Reserve was holding fine, just not a style I gravitate toward. Kudos to Jayson for cellaring 20+ years.
Bill, the Produttori are just consistently good- worth the effort to track down!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Childless Cat Dad

Posts

37053

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Location

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Champagne and Piedmont

by David M. Bueker » Sun Sep 20, 2026 4:36 pm

One warning/reminder on the Produttori wines, that the 2009s are aging very quickly.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Posts

12439

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Location

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Champagne and Piedmont

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 21, 2026 7:34 am

I'm showing a single bottle of 09 Paje will try to locate soon.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Posts

4912

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Location

Indiana

Re: WTN: Champagne and Piedmont

by Mark Lipton » Mon Sep 21, 2026 2:26 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:One warning/reminder on the Produttori wines, that the 2009s are aging very quickly.

Interesting. Possibly due to lower acidity in that hot year?
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

449

Joined

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Location

Toronto, Canada

Re: WTN: Champagne and Piedmont

by Ted Richards » Tue Sep 22, 2026 11:47 am

That's good to know about the Mascarello and the Marcarini. I have a lot of the latter, stretching back to 1993, and was a bit worried because they seemed so tannic. Maybe time or long decanting will help.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot, ByteSpider, ClaudeBot, LACNIC160, Ripe Bot and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign