The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Cowan Pieropan, Servin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Posts

12439

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Location

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Cowan Pieropan, Servin

by Dale Williams » Sat Sep 19, 2026 12:19 pm

With some lamb sausage I had forgotten to cook night before, with green beans and leftover caprese
2010 Cowan Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
Very sweet, cherry pie, almost has a Meiomi like RS character. I can’t get into this at all, But I refrigerate it overnight and next night served cool it seems to have lost the overt sweetness - it’s fruit sweet, not sugar sweet. Second night reminded me more of a Beaujolais than Cali PN. C on night 1, B/B- on night 2. I have no viable explanation other than my imperfect palate.

Lobster, tomato, and basil over spaghetti, broccoli on the side
2025 Pieropan Soave Classico
Floral, nectarine overlaid with lime blossoms and honeysuckle, hint of almond. Nice, but a little light for the dish, B

2023 Servin “les Clos”Chablis Grand Cru
Now this has body. Citrus, rocky minerals, pear. Deep and long, great complex finish. I’ve only been buying Servin recently, but moving to my top tier of Chablis. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was the only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Posts

46551

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

Location

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Cowan Pieropan, Servin

by Jenise » Sat Sep 19, 2026 1:35 pm

The progression on the Cowan is interesting, but with that sweetness at the start that's less the next day when the rest of the wine catches up with that part, more in line with modestly aged Cali pinot than one 17 years out.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Childless Cat Dad

Posts

37053

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Location

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Cowan Pieropan, Servin

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 19, 2026 7:25 pm

The Cowan Pinots were always a little weird. Now the Syrah is another story!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

386

Joined

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

Re: WTN: Cowan Pieropan, Servin

by Patrick Martin » Sat Sep 19, 2026 8:04 pm

Nice notes.

Have you had the Mont de Milieu from Servin?
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Posts

4912

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Location

Indiana

Re: WTN: Cowan Pieropan, Servin

by Mark Lipton » Sun Sep 20, 2026 4:05 pm

That's a very odd experience with that Cowan Pinot. I had my last bottle in 2019, at which point it was dark and savory, so very odd to hear about the confected quality of your bottle.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Posts

12439

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Location

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Cowan Pieropan, Servin

by Dale Williams » Sun Sep 20, 2026 4:27 pm

No, Patrick, most of my experience is with the AC Chablis (Pargues?) and the Montee de Tonnerre .
Mark, I have one more Sonoma and 1 2010 Bennett Valley PN. Am going to hold until I can drink with some wine geeks to see if it's me or the wine

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AFRINIC, AhrefsBot, ClaudeBot, LACNIC160, Ripe Bot and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign