The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Magdelaine 2011-1949 at Talia

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Posts

12439

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Location

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Magdelaine 2011-1949 at Talia

by Dale Williams » Sun Sep 20, 2026 4:22 pm

Mark put together a charity lunch featuring Magdelaine at Talia, my favorite Westchester restaurant. A nice group gathered and made generous contributions to the non-profit I run and to Operation Smile. John gave a nice history and overview of the property. Company, food, and wines were superb.

NV Gosset Grand Reserve Champagne
Pear chalk, and rye bread, good acids, fine mousse, Very nice NV. B+/B

2011 Chateau Magdelaine
Last vintage before the merger into Belair-Monage.Red and black cherry, perfumed, with green herby notes. Plenty of ripeness here but also a fresh acidic backbone. B/B+

2000 Chateau Magdelaine
I personally think this will be a very good wine in time, but right now somewhat primary and monolithic. Dark fruit and coffee behind a tannic wall. B for drinking now.

Crispy polenta with shiitake mushroom, melted onion, smoked garlic creme

1998 Chateau Magdelaine
Very young, but perfumed, balanced complex. Great, and will get better. A-. Will be truly magnificent when mature,

1990 Chateau Magdelaine
I’ve liked this wine more in the past. Solid bottle but the ‘90 roasted pluim notes are sticking out a bit. There seemed to be a touch of barnyard, but when I revisited didn’t get any brett. It had a hard spot between the 98 and the 89. But I’d drink on a Tuesday. B

1989 Chateau Magdelaine
Now this is ready and willing. Red fruit (cherries), mint, cigarbox. Complex and elegant. A-/B+

Rigatoni with pork ragu, red wine, rosemary, parmesan

1988 Chateau Magdelaine
I think I liked more than the table. I just don;t think it’s quite ready, there is still a lot of tannin, Black plums, blackberry, cedar. This needs some time, I think will be fine, though it didn’t have quite the length of wines around it, B/B+

1985 Chateau Magdelaine
Complete and complex. Redder fruits, cigarbox, chipotle pepper, leather Perfect balance. Ready but no hurry. A-/A

1982 Chateau Magdelaine
Ripe and delicious, but seemed to lack just a a little of the freshness that other bottles of ‘82 have offered This is a delicious wine, and there is no obvious oxidation, but the cork might have not been the tightest. B+/A-

Filet mignon in foie gras fat, duxelles, brown butter butternut squash puree, spinach, jus

1975 Chateau Magdelaine
Lovely nose of earth, black cherry and cigar ash, long finish with a ferric note, B+/A-

1970 Chateau Magdelaine
This can be a great wine, but this bottle wasn’t. While not overtly oxidized or madeirized, it seemed tired with the cigarbox moving towards ashtray, Not a sound bottle, but on it;s own I would have found drinkable in a elderly dowager mode.

Pizza with Gruyere and mushrooms

1949 Chateau Magdelaine
This is the only vintage at tasting I hadn’t had before., Earlier in tasting someone said they had had it from same source earlier this year and it had not showed well. So I tempered expectations, No need, this was flat out lovely, Black cherry, smoke, and truffles, Complex and perfumed. Lovely texture. A-/A.

We voted for favorites, I gave the 49 the edge over the 85 just because I’d never had before, I believe in group voting the top 4 were 1949, 1985, 1998, and 1982. Great afternoon, raised some nice money for the charities, and I loved spending time with friends old and new. Thanks Mark!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was the only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Posts

11797

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Location

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN: Magdelaine 2011-1949 at Talia

by Bill Spohn » Mon Sep 21, 2026 3:19 pm

Darn - I looked to see if you had tasted the 93 or 95 but your vertical had neither. Looks like a great event!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Posts

12439

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Location

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Magdelaine 2011-1949 at Talia

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 21, 2026 7:25 pm

Not at this one, but we had 1995 both at a 2025 1995 Bdx horizontal and another Magdelaine vertical few years ago. Both times one of the more controversial wines. It's a bit burly, with a little green, but I liked it in an old school style.
Don't think I've ever had the 1993,

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot, APNIC Bot, Baidu [Spider], ClaudeBot, Ripe Bot and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign