The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pichon Frise

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Childless Cat Dad

Posts

37053

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Location

Connecticut

WTN: Pichon Frise

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 21, 2026 11:53 am

  • 1997 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (9/20/2026)
    From my late father's cellar, and once again it's not so clear why he even bought this only to leave it for decades. Well it worked out for me, as it's a beautiful bottle of classic left-bank Bordeaux that still retains dark fruit, supplemented by the wonderfully stereotypical pencil shavings, tobacco, and cedar. If I could draw up a "this is Bordeaux" diagram it would represent this wine. Wish I had a case rather than a bottle, though I am not going to go hunting for more nearly thirty years post-vintage.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

5004

Joined

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

Location

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: Pichon Frise

by Tim York » Mon Sep 21, 2026 12:18 pm

Interesting that a 1997 is still showing so well. It had a reputation for ripe wines lacking ageing potential. Another illustration why vintage generalizations are often misleading! We spent a few days in the Bordeaux area that summer and I remember it as having been very hot by the standards of that time but would probably be unremarkable nowadays.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Posts

12439

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Location

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Pichon Frise

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 21, 2026 2:29 pm

I don't think the generalization is wrong, but there are almost always exceptions. I liked the 97 Pichon Lalande but drank last one 15 years ago. I opened my last 97 4 years ago, Lafleur was still doing well (but it's Lafleur)
Glad to hear the P-Baron was still strong. I think most 97s have seen their best days. But there were some good wines. The big problem was initial pricing, a jump from 96 (a significantly better vintage in Medoc)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Posts

11802

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Location

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN: Pichon Frise

by Bill Spohn » Mon Sep 21, 2026 2:32 pm

Was afraid it would be a dog when I saw the title.... :mrgreen:

Pichon (either Baron or Comtesse) are excellent and long lived. Nice that your Dad's bottle showed so well! It also reminded me that I have some 88 and 90 I should think about trying - maybe a Christmas dinner this year.

PS - a friend owns a Bichon Frise - they are high maintenance and need grooming all the time, plus when he leaves them alone they take it out by chewing things up, but other than that......
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Childless Cat Dad

Posts

37053

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Location

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Pichon Frise

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 21, 2026 3:49 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I don't think the generalization is wrong, but there are almost always exceptions. I liked the 97 Pichon Lalande but drank last one 15 years ago. I opened my last 97 4 years ago, Lafleur was still doing well (but it's Lafleur)
Glad to hear the P-Baron was still strong. I think most 97s have seen their best days. But there were some good wines. The big problem was initial pricing, a jump from 96 (a significantly better vintage in Medoc)


1997 Haut Brion was spectacular three years ago. That was a Christmas present for my dad that he never opened.
Decisions are made by those who show up

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot, Amazon, Amazonbot, Baidu [Spider], ClaudeBot, DotBot and 15 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign